Coopers Fly Repellent replacement?

Shamrock123

Visit site
I need to buy fly repellent and can't seem to find my favourite in stock on line,it was in limited supply last year :( if anyone knows where I can find Coopers or knows of a suitable alternative I would be v v grateful :)
The flies are evil here at the mo, considering a zebra striped fly rug too -any excuse !!

Shamrock123

Visit site
Oh sorry! didn't realise there was a livestock one,did mean the one for horses,will google it now,is the livestock version suitable for horses?

Fides

Visit site
The livestock one isn't licenced for horses but I have used it for 5 years without issue. I use halfway between the dosage for a sheep and cow for my 14h2s. It's a bit like frontline in it lasts 4-6 weeks. It's expensive but a bottle should last 2 years!

Shamrock123

Visit site
Ok thanks :) the spot on seems promising but will have to be registered somehow or speak to my vet. It's great as it keeps the flies away & zaps the feather mites too.

Fides

Visit site
Ok thanks :) the spot on seems promising but will have to be registered somehow or speak to my vet. It's great as it keeps the flies away & zaps the feather mites too.

Yeah it works for mites and ticks too :)

sem9999 off to look about that one now :)

Edit - only works for 10-14 days. Also it's a spray so would you have to cover the whole horse? Coopers you just use 5-10 ml trickled along the spine... I them rub it in with my fingers (using rubber gloves) then rub my hands on the insides of the thighs and the neck.

Last edited:

katherine1975

Visit site
Coopers and Tri Tec have the same active ingredient as Deosect. I buy Deosect and mix it myself as per instructions 200mls = 20 applications, you only apply once a month.

Fides

Visit site
Mole valley will all you and ask you for a herd number, they won't send it out for horses (well last year that's what happened to me)

Ahh I have a smallholders number so that might be why I was able to get it...

Could you speak to your local friendly farmer?

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
I'm asking 2 farmers here, could anyone help me with the code on their website for ordering? Do the addresses have to match the herd number? And can I have a different delivery address? Also when I last looked on mole valley they only had a big and very expensive amount (£400ish!) I can find the smaller one. I've used deosect as an all over cover before but still have issues with my current 2 (it worked for the pony we had who reacted badly to bites though) I'm hoping to use coopers this year. Sorry to hijack OP but this may help you as well :)

lelly

Visit site
I seem to think that I read somewhere that coopers have changed the active ingredient. I can't remember where though.