COPD...how do you deal with it?

noodle_

Visit site
My horse was coughing a lot, choked twice in 2 weeks... so had the vet out

Been told she has COPD so on stuff the vet gave us (im sorry i cant remember the name.. vent..... you get me!)

soaking her hay, on mats already so limited the bedding/going to try get dust extracted one... she goes out daily, this morning didnt cough at all until she was walking to the field 15./20 mins after breakfast.... and then coughed badly in the field :( shes very quiet, even more so recently so im sure shes feeling pretty crap atm

So other than what shes on via the vet - what else can i give her that will help??? herbal ideally?

Im well aware live out would be the answer as such...but here its virtually impossible as turnout alone is a rare find! shes more than happy where she is and on the turnout she gets tbh.... :) as am i

Shes a young horse (two) so like to try my hardest now so shes comfortable so i can manage it properly as ive never dealt with copd before...!

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
Oh dear. Turnout really is a big one. Most dust free bedding I've found is the Aubiose/hemp one. I switched to haylage when Henry started coughing on hay, which is what helped the most. I also dampen feeds routinely, so if you're not doing that it might help a bit, as some can be dusty.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks - her feeds are sloppy too (should have said)...

shes fine on the turnout time she gets (shes knackered when she comes in)....unless thats her being a little under the weather?

How long does it take to see a difference on meds and soaked hay? she just seems to be really tired unless im just reading into it (probs)!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Soak or steam hay and feed straight away.

Feed wet feed (I feed Fast Fibre)

Add Liquorice root into their feeds

Never put your Horse into stable, just after mucking out. As the bed is disturbed the dust lingers in the air. I like to muck out in morning and leave the dust to settle throughout the day.

Never leave wet in the stable as the ammonia isn't great for them.

Turn out as much as possible.

Outside stables.

Think about the Horses neighbours (what bedding are they on, are there grills between your stables etc)

Just a few things to think about, hope it helped x

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
It'll be ventolin she's on, same stuff as in human inhaler.

Exs pony had bad copd but only in her field at home, once she was away up the lane (took some persuading that a walk in hand would do her good!) she was fine, would walk miles happily and no coughing, but as soon as we were back on his land she'd start again. As she was lami prone she couldn't have the steroids apparently, although she was morbidly obese yet still allowed to graze in the big paddock with no muzzle or space restriction....

celia

Visit site
Our girl with COPD lives out 24/7 which obviously is the ideal and I'd try and get yours out as much as possible. The ventipulmin does help but long-term it's the management that is important. Definitely find some proper dust free bedding as that will help a lot. Something else to think about is that (depending on the layout and construction of your stables) other peoples bedding can often cause problems, so even if your stable is fairly free of dust it could easily be wafting over from next door. If this is the case it can be quite difficult to deal with but with an understanding YO or YM you may be able to move to an end stable or next to others who use less dusty bedding? We've not used any supplements but you could have a look at Global Herbs - I've used other supplements from them in the past with good results and they may well have something that could suit.

Luci07

Visit site
There are various degrees of this and besides all the excellent advice you have had, have a really really good look at your box and those nearby. So, is the box cobwebby and dusty? if so, grab a broom and clean out the dust. Is your horse in a barn? then try to stable in an external stable. Is there hay stored near your horse, in which case move the hay or horse. The ventipulum takes a while to kick in so wouldn't worry about that. Would however, ask your vet as to how bad this is and check it can be managed by the suggested methods or do you need to find grass livery. Mine had this, it was found early so he remained stabled but was switched to shavings and soaked hay immediately. Never had a problem again but was careful that his neighbours were not on straw etc.

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
Yeap agree turnout is the best and let them eat the grass. As you can't do that make sure stable is well ventilated, if barn type try and have her near door and keep it open. Soak hay or use haylage, I use cardboard bedding (it's excellent), soak feed and that's about it. Look at the immediate environment around her, is hay/ straw stored in barn or near stable, what are other horses bedded on around your horse...these are difficult ones to deal with so you can only do you best to minimise exposure. Make sure beds are mucked out while she's in field and any spores have time to settle before taking her in.

It'll be Ventipulmin that vet prescribed. Re: supplements there are a few chains of thought, some people use them and others feel they open up the airways etc allowing more spores to be inhaled. I'm no expert and haven't looked in to it in any detail to be able to advise/comment with any facts or knowledge so just passing views.

My boy has had it for about 10yrs and I've managed it by keeping immediate environment as dust free as possible and maximum turnout...he is stabled at night in winter.

2years old is very young to have developed this, has she been exposed to dusty/poor quality hay? Even if soaking hay make sure it's decent enough and not mouldy oh and feed her hay off of the floor.

Hope some of that helps, good luck and hope horses gets better soon.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks guys - laurenbay thanks for the list really helpful :)

ventipulmin thats it - thank you! :)

shes in a nice outside stable, but i do need to look into dust free bedding, as it does make my stable more dusty than i thought

shes an end stable already, fresh water daily as dust settles on her water etc....i never put her in the stable as soon as ive mucked out unless in winter then shes in a lot more so that im going to have to deal with then.

yes a few cobwebs but i shall bribe someone to clean it for me as im absolutely terrified of spiders....i adore my horse but not enough to break out in a cold sweat dealing with spiders :eek:

will look into global herbs :)

Jools2345

Visit site
being outside really is the best thing but it does not have to be in a field at grass. can you have a pan on the yard?

our pony that is out on loan suffers terribly she cannot have restricted grazing as when it is dry the dust from the ground affects her, she has a filed shelter with a gate on it instead of a stable and has strips of rubber as bedding the ground it will draining and chalky, soaked hay fed wet and try a nose net.
our pony has improved no end having a nose net on 24/7.

the loaner gives her a supplement called breatheasy too and feels it makes a big difference

give hay from the floor a spray the bedding with water once it is laid

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
My last horse suffered quite badly one year despite being on dust free bedding rubber mats and soaked hay. Vet recommended swapping to Haylage and he never had another problem .
Are you surrounded by oilseed rape? The pollen can be very irritant.
Hope you manage to sort it out .

Gorgeous George

Visit site
My boy was diagnosed with COPD in Jan last year, I turn him out as much as I possibly can and when he is in he has dust free bedding on rubber mats, soaked hay in a hay net and all feeds wet and fed from the floor. His stable is outdoors and there is no straw, dry hay or muck heap near him. I also try to brush him outside the stable so as not to create too much dust.

During the winter and early spring (less turnout in winter and pollen in spring) he needs an inhaler, he just has 2-4 puffs of beclamethasone and he tolerates this really well.

Last year whilst we were trying to get things under control, he was scoped initially to get a definate diagnosis and was on 20 puffs of his inhaler, he also ended up having a course of steroid injections followed by tablets but they did the trick. Having him scoped a few times during the course of treatment was very helpful as often he wasn't coughing very much and his lungs sounded good, but the lab tests from the tracheal wash told a different story.

Good luck with yours, I am sure it will be fine.

putasocinit

Visit site
If limited turn out, make sure bedding has no dust, sprinkle water on bed, put vaseline around nostrils the dust etc will collect on the vaseline. Global herbs also have a good easybreathe you can feed.

pottamus

Visit site
My lad has hay related COPD but has to be stabled at night because of previous laminitis. I manage him fine with no coughing or problems so long as his stable is as dust free as possible, he has a good 12 hours turnout per day, soaked hay and dust free bedding etc. He has Feedmark Clarity to help him along but is not dependent on it.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks all :)

even minus this i think these suggestions are good for horses without any lung issues tbh...its just never crossed my mind before!... :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
Feedmark do a supplement called Clarity, email them and they will send you a freebie sample, which is huge!

I stuck with Liquorice root powder though as that seemed to work better. Even when making feeds, if I leaned over it would clear my nose straight away!

scarymare

Visit site
I know you have limited turnout but at 2 years old I'd be looking for 24/7. My COPD lived out from 4-7 years old and actually he sort of grew out of it in the end and I found I could feed him hay and even keep him on straw when he went to stay with producers :eek::eek:

They can all live out - unless they have summer pasture COPD which is really difficult.

Good luck

LaurenBay

Visit site
I got mine from Ebay, my local tack shop sells it too though. She will be back on it when her turnout is restricted in the winter. She still has 12 hours a day though.