Coping with a fatty and a skinny.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I have a 5yo TB, and an 8yo WB/ID cross. Needless to say the TB needs her grub, and today the chunky monkey cantered towards me looking like she was about to give birth
shocked.gif

My options are:

Take both of them in all day. Downside is I'm at work all day, would have to spend quite a bit of money on bedding and haylage (for the skinny one at least) and the fatty would probably eat everything I gave her by 10am then have nothing for the rest of the day (Yes I know she needs to lose weight but I'd rather spread her eating out a bit!). I can't take just the fatty in as the TB will gallop like a loon all day in the field, it's not safe to leave her out on her own.

Grazing muzzle - never used one before. She'd have to wear it for about 10 hours a day while I was at work, and I'm concerned about her getting caught in a fence, or it rubbing or something. Also no idea how effective they really are.

Strip graze. This is possible but a bit awkward. The field is long and narrow and the water and shelter are at the near end. If I strip graze, it means they will spend most of the time on the bit that gets really trashed in winter (they spend more time nearer the gate), and ideally I prefer them to go down to the back of the field in summer to rest the top end. But I can't shut them down the far end as then they'd have no water, and I can't do it by hand as there is no access. I'm also worried that strip grazing would mean my TB wouldn't get the grass she needs. There is no point separating them as the fat one just hops over the electric fence, plus then I have the same water issue

I'm confused
confused.gif

How do you handle having two with such different needs? How many hours a day off the grass would be worthwhile? If she was to come in all day, how much hay would you leave in the morning?

Can you tell I've only ever had neurotic anorexic TB's all my life
tongue.gif

On the plus side, chunky monkey has had 6 months off work, but after the farrier comes tomorrow is allowed to come back into work, which can only help!

howengold

Visit site
I have a similar problem, my two old ladies and my one gelding are in need of good grub and grazing all year round and then my nf lami mare and my shettie are prone to weight gain by breathing by good grass!

Basically I put my old ladies and Willow on fab lush grass in my friends fields during the summer as she has a fattie too who needs the grass demolishing. The fatties are in a starve paddock during the daytime and when I go up in the evening I put them on the grass during the night, if they get a bit fat I miss a night and they stay in the starve.

nicolaread

Visit site
i have the same problem with my horses, in fact i have the same combination of breeds an IDXWB gelding (fatty) + TB mare who has trouble with her weight, my IDXWB is in on box rest at the mo + i work 12 hours a day, i leave him 2kg hay in the mornin but i put it in 2 nets so its harder 2 pull through the holes + i soak it. then im lucky + can go back at lunch time 2 put in another net the same, the TB is at another yard with very little grass so she only goes out durin the day, but i have to give her alot of hay + feed. its a real pain coz i have 2 buy 2 different lots of feed as they cant eat the same thing!!

gothdolly

Visit site
Hi there
I am in the same position with a TB x who needs grass and an appy x connemara who is laminitis prone. And I cant leave the TB x out alone as he would certainly run through a fence in desperation to get to his companion!

I have been using a grazing muzzel with great success (can recommend the shires comfort one as its cheap and effective and has a velcro quick release fastening).

Not easy is it!

Cassandra

jesterfaerie

Visit site
My pony puts weight on easily and his field mate who is a 30yro+ shire does very poorly, although beefs up very nicely come mid summer. I use a grazing muzzle (shires) on him so that he can stay with her but she can graze as much as she wants. This seems to work rather well.

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Buy two more horses, another fatty and another skinny, so that you can separate your current two"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea! Then you find out the fatty hates the other fatty so you need two more fatties, and the same with the skinnies...
wink.gif
grin.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Buy two more horses, another fatty and another skinny, so that you can separate your current two"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea! Then you find out the fatty hates the other fatty so you need two more fatties, and the same with the skinnies...
wink.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*thumbs up* to this idea!
grin.gif

angiebaby

Visit site
Grazing muzzles are a godsend to many this time of the year, just have to find one that fits best for your horse.
Or you could run some electric fencing around the field,approz 8 ft wide, so making a track ;
You could then move the fencing in to allow more grass as and when.
I do this and it works fab; I have the same problem; my pony gets fed more with lots of oil in his feed too.

TGM

Visit site
I have the same problem, well actually two fatties and one skinny. I've used two methods with success - one is bring in for the day, with lots of high calorie haylage and bucket feed for the skinny, and tiny quantities of low calorie haylage for the fatties. I am around during the day though, so can eke the fatties' haylage out, however you could try double-netting to make it last longer.

I've also muzzled and that worked well also - I used the Shires muzzle and to my surprise she only got it off once!