Coping with competition nerves

tatty_v

Visit site
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on how they cope with nerves when competing? We went combined training at the weekend and whilst the dressage went well, I really struggled in the warm up for the SJ as I got rattled by the small space and the people whizzing around (not to mention small ponies stopping dead in front of you to munch the grass!) By the time I went into the arena for my round, my nerves were shot and I let me and my pony down by just not having my head in the game. I don't really know how to tackle the problem - I jump on a weekly basis at home and don't seem to get worried about it. It's not a new thing either, it's happened before!

x

Chumsmum

Visit site
Not sure where you are but is there anywhere locally that has the warm up jumps in the actual SJ arena and they give you a few minutes to warm up on your own before doing your round? They do this for Combined Training at Allens Hill in Pershore, Worcs and I know I personally find this less stressful than a 'normal' warm up xx

pennandh

Visit site
I have to say, if I've got the option, I'll always go for a steady trot round the showground rather than actually warm up in the designated area, and maybe do the clear round before my class if I'm doing any WH or SJ, because I get stressed when people cut me up (which happens a lot when you have a large collection of horses and ponies, many piloted by small-ish kids, in a tight space). I mean, H doesn't really seem to care much either way, but I'm happier warming up in quieter surroundings where possible.

Obviously, some shows you really do just have to bite the bullet and get on with it, because there's nowhere else to warm up; so for those I tend to take either a bit of rescue remedy or a good swig of something that tastes more alcoholic than it is and put my brave face on.

tatty_v

Visit site
Sadly most of the places around us (Northants/bucks) make you warm up in a separate small arena :-( (except for lovely addington where there's lots of space!) I do like the idea of a hip flask and rescue remedy though - it's clearly all in my head as pony thinks it's great fun! Nice to hear it's not just me though :)

dixie

Visit site
Might be worth reading "that winning feeling" by Jane Savoie. Lots of good mind tips for putting you mentally in the right place.
If the warm up is a problem and it can be in most places try going last in the class as it can quieten down a bit then or go in first and warm up whist others are walking the course. You need to be confident of jumping round without walking it tho.

Eventer1994

Visit site
Highly recommend reading the book perfect mind: perfect ride by inga wolframm. It's based on sport psychology, starting off with the theory then moving onto methods you can utilise. I couldn't put it down!

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have a playlist of songs that I think suit my horses (3 different ones) and I play that playlist softly while riding at home, if the session is going really well, I will crank that music while focusing on how it feels, how I am riding, how my horse is responding and making the most of the positive feelings and imagery.

When I am in warm up, I have my phone in my pocket and have the playlist for whatever horse I am riding. It helps all the tension melt away and takes me back to home, and those chilled out stress free rides. It really helps with nerves. :)