Copper deficiency (pictures)

BBP

Visit site
After my last few posts I have been wondering whether my pony may be copper deficient. I have sent away forage samples for analysis and am waiting for the results, and have decided to try a tub of the Forage Plus winter balancer anyway as it is ultra low in iron and my pony has liver trouble. I wondered how quickly you would expect to see changes in the coat if the animal was in fact copper deficient and is moved on to a better balanced diet? Its hard to know if you are doing the right thing with all these products on the market, so the coat would be an obvious indicator if I knew to expect a change in a matter of weeks or months, or whether a change would take until next year. Thanks!

The pony 4 years ago when he moved to this yard:
2009-09-1211-27-25_IMG_0326_zps588f639f.jpg

The pony this summer:
image_zpsf4e15133.jpg

(to be fair he did wear a fly rug a lot more that first year so there was less sun bleaching)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
That's quite a difference, will look forward to a update on your findings but iv found a decent vit/min supplement has def helped mine. All their coats are much darker this year and hasn't bleached at all and they don't wear rugs

treacle_beastie

Visit site
interesting..my dark brown almost black horse has turned ginger this summer but two things have changed this year..one I havent put a fly rug on and two she stopped eating her vits and mins..i was wondering if it was the vits and mins too..it does promote a glossy coat. Shes always been very shiny but this summer her hair feels diff almost burnt at tge edges but shes moulting atm. Will watch post with interest.

Oscar

Visit site
I'm sure sunflower seeds are good for keeping dark coats dark, not sure what's in them that does this. Sunflower oil is no good as it's extracted at such high temps the goodness is gone I believe.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
If it helps, my black horse's spring coat came through quite bay this year. And he is fed Pro Balance and micronised linseed. I wonder if it is anything to do with the winter we had?

BBP

Visit site
Sorry I'm late getting back to this, the perils of being on call for a few weeks! I've just had the forage results back today so I'm going to compare the results with an average horses requirements and will let you know. Interestingly it says it is low in most things, copper, zinc, selenium, also iron, so I'll look at the ratios as well. I'm not sure what it is, he just doesn't seem as glossy and gleaming as usual.

Tnavas

Visit site
Being low in Selenium will affect coat. Sun will bleach a black to the colour yours is.

What did your vet suggest he be given.

The problem we have now with so many products on the market is that it's easy to overdose something.

BBP

Visit site
Sorry, very late back again! The vet just said as little iron as possible to minimise influence on his liver. Forage analysis came back and whilst I need to do some sums it looks like the nutrient ratios for iron:copper:zinc:manganese are about right but it is quite low total levels of all of the above, plus low selenium. What I need to figure out is if forage plus mean it is low for what the horse needs or low compared to the national average (which may be quite high). The sheet isn't clear.

Morgan123

Visit site
I don't hvae anything useful to add but just wanted to say, what a bloody lovely horse!! what is he?!

Will also be interested to hear what you decide re: feed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Is he Andalusian? One of the horses in the field next door to me has a coat like that, I just thought it was the sun that had bleached the coat you live and learn.

WelshD

Visit site
Not much use but my goats (one black and one black and white) live with my sheep so usually have a diet low in copper, they are usually browny or gingery on their black parts. Earlier this year they had a liquid horse supplement called Cuppra for a few weeks and their black bits look amazing

Tnavas

Visit site
Sorry, very late back again! The vet just said as little iron as possible to minimise influence on his liver. Forage analysis came back and whilst I need to do some sums it looks like the nutrient ratios for iron:copper:zinc:manganese are about right but it is quite low total levels of all of the above, plus low selenium. What I need to figure out is if forage plus mean it is low for what the horse needs or low compared to the national average (which may be quite high). The sheet isn't clear.

MInes currently on additional selenium as her coat is horrible.

Go back to the analysis company and ask what info they are comaparing to.

maccachic

Visit site
A horse with a balanced diet wont sun bleach, could be any deficiency which could cause a coat like that and they interact with each other, so you are on the right track. Have you had issues with rain scald / mud fever they seem to go hand in hand with imbalances.

The coat and hooves are the lowest on a horses priority list so these are the first places deficiencies show up as they essential are prioritised elsewhere.

This maybe useful: http://nrc88.nas.edu/nrh/ its a as fed calculator

BBP

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Yes he is Andalusian (and totally gorgeous!) but with a quarter welsh b thrown in to make him tiny!
I'm going to call forage plus when I get a chance. His hooves are pretty good but again I've felt this year as though the white line isn't as tight as it was. No really noticeable problems though. I'll keep you all posted on any changes.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks for that. Sums it is! (Not my strong point!) No idea what quantity of grass he goes through in terms of total quantities.