Copra

BlueSocks

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm just weaning my horses onto the flavour in advance of winter at the mo, they seem pretty into it despite the very strong smell/taste. Soaked some this evening, and yeah, it really does swell! Surprised they even say you can feed it dry - suppose it would be ok in small amounts but definitely soaked for winter quantities ? weird stuff isn't it??!!!

Reactions: TPO

Afon_34

Visit site
I used to feed it last winter from recommendation to get weight on one of mine, he didn’t really like it though (he ate it but slowly, top lip wiggling it around ate it) and it didn’t help him weight wise.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I used to feed it last winter from recommendation to get weight on one of mine, he didn’t really like it though (he ate it but slowly, top lip wiggling it around ate it) and it didn’t help him weight wise.

That's interesting that you didn't notice any weight gain. Can I ask how much you were feeding daily? Ahh bless, yeah it's such a strong flavour. Luckily mine seem to be enjoying for now but they are only having a bit at the moment just to get used to the taste!

TPO

Visit site
I've fed it to various horses over the years and they've all loved it.

I first discovered it years ago working on Australian cattle stations. The horses in work all got nosebags of it with lucerne. They were all in hard work (14hr days and up to 3 days at a time mustering or tailing cattle) but despite there being nothing but red dust and termite mounds during dry season in NT and the horses all looked good and were full of energy (sometimes too much!) on that simple diet

Boulty

Visit site
If feeding large amounts I'd always soak it to as it's VERY dry & does expand but I have sprinkled small amounts dry onto other soaked feeds to tempt to eat. Was the only thing the Welsh one would eat / the only thing that would put weight on him I don't feed it atm though as the Highland is fat enough!

Northern

Visit site
I've always fed copra wet. It's been an invaluable feed throughout the severe drought we have just had in Australia as it is a crop not affected by the dry like grain and hay (the brand I feed is imported from one mill in Papua New Guinea), keeps weight on well and also ensures moisture intake when everything else was just dust. It's not just great for keeping weight on, it is low NSC and can be fed safely to metabolic horses. As always it depends on how the horse goes on each feed but I always recommend people at least try copra, especially for TBs struggling with body weight and condition.