Cordless Clippers Recommendations

Ossy2

Visit site
So I’m in the market for new clippers and would like some cordless ones, but which ones I have no idea. My current clippers are Worsley swift’s which over 20 years old, owe me nothing but go get hot quickly now. I can’t see that worsley do any cordless?
Have seen the liveryman harmony raved about but are they really sturdy enough, have seen Heiniger ones but they are the most expensive but are they worth the extra cost?
And pointers gratefully received.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Heiniger are superb and for legs Andis are also superb, both very expensive but if you are clipping several or have common bred types they are well worth the cost.

Greylegs

Visit site
Another vote for the Heiniger Xplore. Love the way the battery fits into the handle making the whole thing easy to use, and they have a useful wrist strap so you don't drop them!

They easily cope with my extremely hairy highland. Definite recommendation from me.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I’ve got the Xplorers too. They are great, powerful enough to clip a very hairy native but still fairly quiet and easy to handle. The battery lasts for a while full clip no problem, and I go slow and steady.

HorseMaid

Visit site

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got Masterclip Roamers and as a complete novice clipper until a couple of years ago I’ve found they are good value price wise, clip really well and are easy to use.

DressageCob

Visit site
My Heiniger Xplorer clippers were good but now when I turn them on they do a faint buzz and die. The same thing happened to my friend's one. Mine are serviced every year and cleaned between uses so I don't know why they are so temperamental. I now have the Lister Eclipse and they are amazing. So small and nifty and they get through thick cobby hair with no difficulty at all.

throwaway2022

Visit site
My Heiniger Xplorer clippers were good but now when I turn them on they do a faint buzz and die. The same thing happened to my friend's one. Mine are serviced every year and cleaned between uses so I don't know why they are so temperamental. I now have the Lister Eclipse and they are amazing. So small and nifty and they get through thick cobby hair with no difficulty at all.

Are the Listers quieter or louder than the Heinigers please?

Boulty

Visit site
Wolseley technically DO have a cordless option in the Goshawk but it seems to be very much a non mainstream choice making it an expensive PITA to get certain parts for. Also a bit underpowered compared to some of the other models out there (says the person who it turns out has been trying to run them off a knackered battery pack for the past few years so I may reserve judgement on that when I've managed to replace it... This brings me onto the PITA to get parts for as I can only find said battery on 1 website for £140... Razorsharp were trying to re-cell my existing battery for way cheaper but they gave up when they couldn't source the cells as apparently it's an awkward voltage... Currently trying to see if Stockshop would be able to or if they could do me a new battery any cheaper). I've been advised the batteries last/ stand up to abuse best if they're lithium ones (which the Goshawk is not) & most other battery packs seem slightly more sensibly priced than these ones as well. Basically yes they exist but I would not advise purchasing a pair as they have spent far more time being an unreliable PITA than they have clipping anything!

Have heard good things about liveryman black beauty & if mine still aren't doing what I want when I've sorted the battery they're probably what I'd get.

claret09

Visit site
Masterclip roamers i bought some earlier in the year and have been really impressed with them. the battery lasts really well. i have fully clipped my 17.2 and gone back and tidied him up the next day on the same charge - he moves around and they are great. he has actually been much easier to clip with these. i have also got some of the smaller masterclip royales and their trimmers. they are all a great price. they are all fairly quiet as well. the roamers are obviously more noisy but my boy is happy to be clipped using them. i can definitely recommend. also meant to say they have not left any lines and the clip looks really smooth

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You've had a perfectly usable Wolseley Swift clippers for 20 years & they are starting to run warm? They've looked after you for 20 years, why not send them for a service & mention that they get warm. I've got a set of Wolseley Swift & mine have never let me down. They must be 23+ years old. I clean then before starting a clip, brush them off several times whilst clipping & oil them probably 3 times through the clipping (always use the correct clipping oil. Don't be tempted to use WD40 as the blades will get damaged & overheat. In the last 23 years I think I've had them serviced may be twice ? Send them off to get them a service & mention the over heating & the service engineer will know what to look for. Ask them for a break down of the price before they actually do the service & you will on the engineers advice if they are worth doing or not. I would expect that they will be worth servicing. They are a simply engineered clipper, made back when the parts were sturdy & robust. If you compare them to current clippers you will find the newer clippers are not built robust parts. Also battery clippers will eventually not hold charge & a replacement battery will be needed & replacement batteries are expensive.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've got both the Heinger Xplorers and the Liveryman Harmony plus clippers, and use both sets on a full clip. The Harmonies could tackle a full clip, given time, but I use them for the fiddly bits such as heels where their small size and ability to take a narrow blade are invaluable.

Battery clippers are a revelation over mains clippers. All my neds are amenable to clip, and I've got mains electricity, but the process is so much easier and safer without a trailing mains lead to keep an eye on/trip over :).

jnb

Visit site
The new Lister Eclipse are the dogs whatsits, I LOVED my Libertys but the Eclipse are even better, just as tough but lighter, easier to handle and completely cordless plus a spare battery is only £49 compared to £££ to the older style ones or any other brand.

I have the Liveryman Harmony too but really I consider them heavy duty trimmers in comparison.

throwaway2022

Visit site
I've got both the Heinger Xplorers and the Liveryman Harmony plus clippers, and use both sets on a full clip. The Harmonies could tackle a full clip, given time, but I use them for the fiddly bits such as heels where their small size and ability to take a narrow blade are invaluable.

Battery clippers are a revelation over mains clippers. All my neds are amenable to clip, and I've got mains electricity, but the process is so much easier and safer without a trailing mains lead to keep an eye on/trip over :).

Do you think the Harmonies would be up to a monthly clip on a clean 12.2 cob, so never having to get through a thick coat? I like the Xplorers, my friend has them, BUT the Liveryman are virtually half the price and I like that I can switch to a narrow A5 blade for any fiddly bits.

throwaway2022

Visit site
Sod it, I've just bought the Harmony Plus. Sorry to hijack your post OP!! Will report back once I've used them. Not sure what your requirements are but I'll be using them for my new cob, did a quick clip with corded Masterclips but he wasn't feeling me doing his legs. Whether that was because they're sore (he's scabby), tickly or he was just having me on I don't know but it was dark and I was tired so I called it a night! Have since moved and we no longer have electric and he desperately needs tidying up. Hoping they stand up to a monthly full clip and hog for him and a tidy up for our sec A.

throwaway2022

Visit site
https://www.clippersharp.com/liveryman-harmony-plus/p532

This was the cheapest place I found to buy from.

Edited again after some great service from Oakfield - I've emailed to cancel the order from the above company, wasn't aware until I got their out of office reply that whilst online orders are being accepted, they're not being processed until the 3rd Jan. So, I'm off to collect some from Oakfield instead, so impatient!!

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Do you think the Harmonies would be up to a monthly clip on a clean 12.2 cob, so never having to get through a thick coat? I like the Xplorers, my friend has them, BUT the Liveryman are virtually half the price and I like that I can switch to a narrow A5 blade for any fiddly bits.
I see that you've just bought some Harmonies, I think that you will be pleased with them :).

I no longer have a full on HW cob, but my IDx cob grows pretty meaty winter feathers, and the narrow 5f blades (6mm coarse cut) sluice through them. I've got a selection of other blades inc no 10 (2.4 mm cut) in narrow and wide.

BC0709A0-9108-4B3C-8EE4-FA1579B63938.jpeg

throwaway2022

Visit site
I see that you've just bought some Harmonies, I think that you will be pleased with them :).

I no longer have a full on HW cob, but my IDx cob grows pretty meaty winter feathers, and the narrow 5f blades (6mm coarse cut) sluice through them. I've got a selection of other blades inc no 10 (2.4 mm cut) in narrow and wide.

View attachment 105107

Oh fantastic, thanks for this! I used to groom the dogs myself but ended up selling all my stuff, shame I didn't keep hold of any blades.