Corduroy Jodphurs - do they exist any more?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
but that tack was normal back then. I expect the vast majority of pics of the 70's and early 80's would show the same. Why did it all get so complicated?

nice horse/beautifully turned out. Was he yours YCBM?

Yes, his name was Glendevon Magic and he was a product of the HIS, Hunter Improvement Society, scheme.

teddy_

Visit site
Been having a look and you can buy the Gorringe cord offering from Horse and Rider (.co.uk) :cool: . These were sort of going out of fashion when I started ponies in the 90s, but I feel like I need a pair now, they look so cosy 👀...

SilverLinings

Visit site
I still have a pair of bottle green elephant cord johds that a wear in the winter. Since they stopped being available I have rationed my wearing of them to make them last, but out of all the breeches and johds I have they are definitely the warmest. When they were fashionable I had a few pairs but killed one climbing over a gate, and another pair in a fall.

I might see if I can find some suitable stretch cord fabric anywhere to make some. I am surprised that they are no longer easily available to buy as they were smart, comfortable and warm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've got a brown horseware pair they are about 5 years old oh bought them for me, I still wear them but no idea if they still make them.

They have fake suede seat they are really nice and I wear quite a bit in winter.

cowgirl16

Visit site
I've emailed Horse and Rider - no reply yet. Think I'll try phoning Gorringe direct and ask them if they are still made. Perhaps there is an opening for some clever dressmakers out there?

Ceifer

Visit site
I used to love cords and had a beautiful pair given to me by a livery years ago. They were needlecord corduroy and didn’t have much give in them. I was teaching at PC and demonstrating how to mount from the ground, unfortunately as I lifted my left leg up to the stirrup the crotch ripped 😂. I styled it out but had to teach the rest of the rally waddling about like a penguin

Last edited:

seriously festive equine

Visit site
just found these...http://horseandrider.co.uk/ladies-jodhpurs/96-gorringe-new-corduroy-ladies-jodhpurs-breeches-5060354010006.htm
and these....https://castlehousesaddlery.co.uk/products/ladies-cotton-creation-jodhpurs

Annagain

Visit site
I had completely forgotten about the existence of corduroy jodhpurs until this thread. Now I want some.

I had some lovely navy ones, the were so soft and comfy.

Does anyone remember when jodphurs used to be in two parts and had a seam just below the knee? Why? They were the most uncomfortable things ever. When lycra first came out, jodhpurs were suddenly really stretchy and comfy except for that seam that would cut off your circulation. Even as a kid I had very wide calves.