Coronavirus and petcare

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
Hello,

A bit of a depressing topic, so apologies in advance.

But my household has now - after two and a half years in the clear - been struck down with 'The Rona'. :(

Obviously as we are all positive, a petsitter is not an option, but I am concerned about transmitting it to the household pets and making them sick too. So I was wondering if anyone could help brainstorm ideas to keep them safe, or where I could find information even about the likelihood of them being made very ill by it as I am quite worried about not being able to get them to a vet/a vet refusing to see animals with COVID-19 or from a positive household.

Thank you very much for any responses.

fiwen30

Visit site
I’m fairly certain that domestic animals can’t contract Covid? Or if they do, it’s a negligible thing?

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
Its a human to human virus !! where on earth did you get the idea pets can catch it?
You have the net so educate yourself on it and study all the info thats available.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This was the advice given for pet owners, livestock and other animal keepers for those living in England, but the advice was withdrawn in April when the various lockdown restrictions were lifted.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-people-with-animals

"Limited evidence suggests that COVID-19 can pass:
  • from infected humans to the listed animals after close contact or sharing their equipment or airspace'
  • between mink kept in captivity and then transfer to humans in close contact
  • from infected hamsters to humans in close contact"

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Its a human to human virus !! where on earth did you get the idea pets can catch it?
You have the net so educate yourself on it and study all the info thats available.
Crikey that’s a bit acidic!
According to the U.S. Centre for Disease Prevention and Control dogs and cats can catch Covid from their owners but it is very rare for it to happen. Here’s the link:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/covid-19/pets.html#risk

I hope you are soon feeling much better.

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
oh wow. Sorry I asked. Thought this was a nice place for animal/horse owners to ask others of the same for advice but I guess not! I know it maybe sounds a bit of a stupid question but I knew about the covid hamster cull in China, and that they are used for lab models of it; and I know avians are especially prone to respiratory viruses; and I know viral RNAs from human coronavirus have been detected in Chinese household dogs and cats. I might not be thinking exactly straight but I didn't think it was a hugely illogical concern, though regardless of snide comments on here I'll probably go minimal contact required to ensure needs are met/no kissing etc with them all until I test negative.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
oh wow. Sorry I asked. Thought this was a nice place for animal/horse owners to ask others of the same for advice but I guess not! I know it maybe sounds a bit of a stupid question but I knew about the covid hamster cull in China, and that they are used for lab models of it; and I know avians are especially prone to respiratory viruses; and I know viral RNAs from human coronavirus have been detected in Chinese household dogs and cats. I might not be thinking exactly straight but I didn't think it was a hugely illogical concern, though regardless of snide comments on here I'll probably go minimal contact required to ensure needs are met/no kissing etc with them all until I test negative.

That soundslije a sensible approach To reassure you, our dogs didn't catch it from us. The biggest problem that we found was that friend who lives alone, was too ill to look after her dog, so the dog stayed with us for 3 days

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
Well thank you to those who have reassured me.
I must admit I am not walking my little dog at the moment anyway, partly due to the heat, partly because other dogwalkers don't seem to understand personal space, and partly because I feel too dreadful to contemplate it! Poultry have been done today with mask and gloves on - just food and water, and shut away for the night - and the guinea pigs and mice got just the former too as well.

Hopefully this does not last long; though at least my horses are within walking distance, on my own field, so at least I do not have the complications of livery to worry about.

I don't know what "Dun roamin" is though, if it's relevant at all.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I think it’s a very tiny risk, our family all had it and we had multiple dogs and birds and mice in the house who were all just fine, and everyone else I know who’s had it including vets have had no issues with animals. There was some advice early on regarding keeping animals outside the room if you were isolating but I haven’t seen that repeated any time recently.

Mink seem to be a concern, and there’s some doubt about hamsters but that seems to be an incredibly low risk.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Dogs can get canine coronavirus, it causes gastric symptoms diarrhoea and vomiting. Its not the same as Covid 19 though. There are lots of different coronavirus.

MagicMelon

Visit site
You'll be fine, we've had covid twice now and most of my friends have had it too. Ive never heard of any pets catching it. My animals certainly didnt. It wouldnt even cross my mind. Just carry on as normal OP.

My vet came out a few days ago to vaccinate one of the horses with a mask on saying she was still covid positive from her holiday, yet was merrily out to see my horse so people are far less worried about it these days!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
[QUOTE="MagicMelon, post: 14958404,

My vet came out a few days ago to vaccinate one of the horses with a mask on saying she was still covid positive from her holiday, yet was merrily out to see my horse so people are far less worried about it these days![/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I would have turned her straight round and sent her back to the surgery, then rung the practice manager and asked what on earth they were thinking of. How does the surgery know that you are not CEV?