Coronet band protection for front of hinds: scalping boots

Spilletta

Visit site
I’d be really grateful for any information as to whether anywhere in the UK does the same/similar product to one I’ve found in the USA.

They’re called scalping boots and look to be exactly what I’m after, but can’t find a UK equivalent. They do international shipping, but it would be handier if there was something like this locally.

https://www.equipro.com/Scalping_Boots.html

Has anyone come across them here? I’ve seen neoprene coronet bands but not any that come down as far at the front.

I’d not come across the term scalping before and it popped up when I started searching online for coronet band protection. But it doesn’t seem to be a UK term?

WelshD

Visit site
My friend ordered some of the ones from the USA as she couldn't find any in the UK

They do the job but my friend did say that it wouldn't be too hard to adapt some pastern wraps by stitching on an 'apron' of tough foam/neoprene/canvas

For what they are and after a long wait for delivery I think she felt they were rather 'basic' and I think she was also charged duty fees for importing them - I think the fees were about £15

Last edited:

dixie

Visit site
I couldn't find anything like that when I was looking and ended up using a sausage boot, when I could be bothered putting it on.

supsup

Visit site
They are quite commonly used in the Icelandic horse community. You can try contacting Topreiter UK via FB (https://www.facebook.com/TopReiterUK/). Topreiter is a big Icelandic horse brand on the continent, and this is a small business selling their products in the UK. They sell them for around £12, if I remember correctly (somewhere between 10 and 15, anyway). It's where I got my pair, anyway.

Or if you're brave, try googling some of the big equestrian retailers on the continent. They generally ship to the UK. For example:
http://www.loesdau.de/Scalper.htm?websale7=loesdau&pi=60506&ci=04-wanderreiten-island

Spilletta

Visit site
On the off-chance that someone else needs to investigate scalping boots, and finds this thread, I thought I’d post a quick update with my outcome. Quick summary: I bought the Equipro boots.

In my case, sausage boots wouldn’t have achieved what I needed. I thought the Icelandic TopReiter boots could be a solution, but I could only see ones (in my price range) which you’d have to pull over the hoof. Again, in my case, this wouldn’t have worked.

I could see where WelshD’s friend was coming from because the shape of the Equipro boots are so simple, but in the end I decided to go for them as my cutting and stitching skills are very limited and it would probably take me longer to source the right material.

I ordered from them via E-bay (I don’t have an E-bay account, but could do it as a guest). I have to say I was really impressed as they were delivered from the USA in six days. Cost was about £26 including the shipping.

And, they are doing the job I want perfectly.

Thanks again to everyone for replying with suggestions to my original post.

FemelleReynard

Visit site
Hi all - sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm searching around for ideas.

Spilletta - what issue did your horse have that the boots solved? My horses back hooves rub together around the coronet band on the inside due to his bad confirmation. Up to now I've prevented this by using over reach boots on his hinds, but came across those scalping boots and thought I might try them as they look slightly less ugly than the over reachers. I'm glad to hear you got on well with them.

Do they just cover the front of the hoof or do they wrap around enough that you think they'd cover the inside hoof? If they didn't, do you think I could move them around to sit on the area that's affected? I'm thinking of giving them a go but don't want to waste my money if they won't fit the right area!! Thanks

AFB

Visit site
Hi all - sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm searching around for ideas.

Spilletta - what issue did your horse have that the boots solved? My horses back hooves rub together around the coronet band on the inside due to his bad confirmation. Up to now I've prevented this by using over reach boots on his hinds, but came across those scalping boots and thought I might try them as they look slightly less ugly than the over reachers. I'm glad to hear you got on well with them.

Do they just cover the front of the hoof or do they wrap around enough that you think they'd cover the inside hoof? If they didn't, do you think I could move them around to sit on the area that's affected? I'm thinking of giving them a go but don't want to waste my money if they won't fit the right area!! Thanks

I'd imagine the rubbing action would just spin them around if you did this - you'd need something with protection all the way around to avoid them shifting out of place

poiuytrewq

Visit site
These are clever! why do they not get made in the UK i wonder. They would have been the perfect answer for my old horse who always used to damage his coronet band and i could never find anything suitable.

npage123

Visit site
My horse used to get worse over the last few worse, with terrible medio-lateral imbalance and also awful pastern angles. He too was always rubbing himself on his coronet bands with opposing legs.
For him the solution was:
- foot balancing xrays by vet
- amazing rehabilitation farrier who were able to tremendously improve the way my horse now stands at rest (he'll actually choose to stand square now, whereas he used to always rest his one hind leg underneath his belly) and action when moving. The farrier was able to dramatically improve his feet by excellent trimming technique alone, but then also used wedges underneath the shoes, and now using a combination of graded shoes and some wedges.
- for protection prior to rehab farriery and now, I use either those cheap pull-on rubber over-reach boots or westropp petal boots behind.