Corralling a Shetland

only_me

Visit site
What’s the best method other than haras fencing?

I’ve moved Ralph into the big front (which he obviously is not allowed all of) so he’s got company of my big man across the road. There is a fencer on (can’t work out how to connect it to the mains without killing myself) and it’s fenced low, hard to judge when you normally fence for a 17h lol. It’s poor quality grass.

What do you think? Will it be enough/should it be lower/higher?

1BBA1708-D5C4-4F6D-A864-C44B94E2163A.jpeg

mandyroberts

Visit site
I doubt it! When you say there is a 'fencer on', I assume you mean there is a current running thru the tape?
I think he may be able to put his head underneath and squeeze out. He is very hairy and I'm guessing no shoes?
Its hard to see the height against him with this picture. Do keep us posted.....

stewal

Visit site
That wouldn't keep mine in (even with a current going through it) but they are particularly adept at trashing fences. I usually have three strands of tape with the first one about a foot max from the ground. I've stood and watched them take a run at a single strand and duck under it on their knees!! Shetlands seem to see fencing as a challenge rather than a deterrent.....

teddypops

Visit site
No amount of electric fencing will contain my Shetland or my Sec A. You will need something a lot more substantial to even be in with a chance!

only_me

Visit site
😰
Can’t double strand as too low would touch the grass. It’s about 2 down from normal horse level?
Yep standard fencer is on.
Wonder if I could do a bib clip? Would it be cruel to have him out naked with a clipped chest?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Bib clip would be fine to be turned out with but don't think he's staying in there because you want him too.....He's staying in because he wants too and will be out whenever he feels like it.

My Shetland can't be contained but 8 strands of electric and a mains energiser. She can also open wooden gates if she feels the need. 😏

be positive

Visit site
😰
Can’t double strand as too low would touch the grass. It’s about 2 down from normal horse level?
Yep standard fencer is on.
Wonder if I could do a bib clip? Would it be cruel to have him out naked with a clipped chest?

A bib would be fine for him but will not stop him putting his head down under the tape to get out once he decides to go, my small ponies nibble their way under until they decide to just keep going and get out if the grass on the other side is better, a thick mane seems to give enough protection to make it worthwhile.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ours would stay behind electric as long as it was with sturdy wooden posts and at least 3 strands that were tensioned tight with electric rope so he could not part them.

He would sniff round the wires to ensure we had not forgotten to switch the current on!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
a friend of mine looked after 2 shitland mares and couldnt work out how they were getting in with her rather large stallion and she was worried he would hurt them. he loved having company but she put them 2 fields away with good post and rail fencing and put cctv on so she could see what they did. they both got on their knees and crawled through which was amazing as they were both due to foal in the next month....dont think you can stop a determined shettie

cauda equina

Visit site
Gosh, that looks like masses of grass, why would he bother getting out?

There are shetlands, and shetlands; as long as his fence is on, mine wouldn't dare to try to get out

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The fence is irrelevant really. There's so much grass on the side the Shetland is on there's not really any point in the fence being there as it isn't restricting grazing. .

only_me

Visit site
The fence is irrelevant really. There's so much grass on the side the Shetland is on there's not really any point in the fence being there as it isn't restricting grazing. .

I didn't say I was restricting his grazing, more like his access to the 5 acre field of grazing lol. Grass quality is not good, the field had a late cut end sept so has really only had a months poor growth.

Going to try and bring him in at night maybe and out during the day so he'll be happy to stay within his boundary, if he won't then its either out in his paddock or in with the alpacas (not sure who will win in that scenario), he used to roam around the yard by day but has started to make his way into the house kitchen lol

meleeka

Visit site
Update: didn't even last one night.

He is now free to roam yard and field during day but will be shut in at night in yard.

Shetland corralling should be a olympic sport.

I think part of the problem is the difference between too high so they can get under and too low so they can get over is about a millimetre, so it’s impossible to get it just right.

Your compromise sounds good. They just don’t get why they should be restricted anywhere.

_HP_

Visit site
My two Shetlands ponies will stay put in a single strand at chest height as long as it's on and as long as it's tensioned properly. It needs to be taut enough for there to be no give . Electric fencing is usually too loose and with not enough posts so they can flip it over their backs quickly, or.step over it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Haha! In the nicest possible way, really not being nasty but I showed my OH your photo this morning and we had a little smile...
4 strands and a clipped chest later my little angel, who looks very similar to yours is still able to get out 😩

only_me

Visit site
Haha! In the nicest possible way, really not being nasty but I showed my OH your photo this morning and we had a little smile...
4 strands and a clipped chest later my little angel, who looks very similar to yours is still able to get out 😩

Wishful thinking on my part lol

Ah well at least he has some visible company during the day which was the overall aim!

pippixox

Visit site
naughty shetland! it is their job!
I have a 13'3' new forest who is brilliant as limbo between two strands, event with a very strong energiser on it!
three strands, with wooden corner posts to strain the tape tight, seems to work for us. as I keep them on a track until winter and he will get laminitis if he gets on all the grass in the summer.
my horses were always fine with just one strand, often without even a zap! blooming ponies!

Auslander

Visit site
Ivan is not a normal shetland - he got zapped this morning, and was so upset that he now won't go within 10 feet of the fence.
Short run of fence with a Wolseley Mosquito (powers 15miles of fencing) hooked up to a huge leisure battery - so must have felt like being booted in the face by a large and angry camel. He won't be sniffing it again in a hurry

Auslander

Visit site
Ivan is not a normal shetland - he got zapped this morning, and was so upset that he now won't go within 10 feet of the fence.
Short run of fence with a Wolseley Mosquito (powers 15miles of fencing) hooked up to a huge leisure battery - so must have felt like being booted in the face by a large and angry camel. He won't be sniffing it again in a hurry

Let's just forget that I said that...Little sod.