Correct hunting attire

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I haven't hunted much and only on plaited ponies in a less serious hunting county. I've now moved and I'm taking a cob to a big hunt on boxing day. What's the correct dress code regarding coloured tack (his bridle has grey piping) and a native mane

Kittykins

Visit site
My understanding is that tack should be plain black or plain brown, but i don't claim to be any sort of expert at all so I'd wait until someone more knowledgeable answers.

On manes, that's an interesting one isn't it? When I was growing up cobs were ALWAYS hogged, larger and smaller cobs alike, but I don't think I've seen a hogged mane for years now. Maybe it's gone out of fashion?

Dunlin

Visit site
The majority of hunting Cobs round here are hogged with the tails either pulled or plaited and put up. I would speak to the secretary beforehand and have a quick chat about everything. If you are only planning to go out the once then I am sure the tack and mane will be fine but if you are looking into it being a regular thing then plain black or brown leather tack is considered 'correct' with a black or brown numnah. Hope you have a great time!

VoR

Visit site
Speak to the Hon Secs to get a steer on what their pack expects and as Dunlin says plain tack is 'correct' but they may accept the 'piped' tack for the odd day, assuming they are more keen to get another follower/supporter of hunting than they are to be sticklers for ettiquette.................which is not always the case unfortunately! Kick on and enjoy the day though :)