Correct WH attire?

Chippers1

Visit site
Hi,

I'm starting to compete my connie in m&m WH and although only at local level at thr moment he's doing quite well so I'm hoping to try some bigger regional shows next year when we've got a few more under our belt.
I've been googling to try and find what the correct attire is but it seems to be different on each website!

Currently I'm wearing a show outfit I've had for about 10 years since I used to compete local level on my old pony which consists of:

Brown tweed jacket (has a brown velvet collar)
White shirt
Cream tie with gold spots
Brown gloves
Beige jodphurs
Long black boots (they do have laces)
Skull cap - it's a Charles Owen pro II so just has a black silk that comes with it, obviously I can change this!

Pony has brown tack, with very discreet brown numnah, Pelham bridle. He's grey with dark legs if that helps ☺

Any tips would be really helpful as I'm a little clueless! At the moment I know I need to get a new shirt as the sleeves are a bit long and poke out the end of my jacket sleeves (I'm really small so it's hard to get jackets that fit without getting custom made, same with shirts!) So any advice on colour for that would be great ☺

He's a brilliant pony that really needs to get out and about, i just want to look the part! Thank you in advance!

conniegirl

Visit site
Sounds fine for an M&m wh.
For the shirt you would be better off with cream, blue or lemon. White can be a bit stark.
Id also change your tie to somethjng with a bit more colour. Does your tweed have an over check? If so pick out a colour from it, if not a blue or burgundy tie can look lovely.

For hat silk, you need to find a velvet hat silk and then choose if you want to go for navy (standard for ladies) or brown to match your tweeds collar (acceptable in m&m classes)

Chippers1

Visit site
Ah brilliant thank you! Best get shopping. Will go for burgundy as that's our xc colours too, nice to have a theme 😅 my tweed doesn't have an over check.

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm lucky (in a way....) that I can fit into children's sizes so I've bought a 3 in 1 short sleeved shirt that was on offer for £10! I can then change it out for a stock if I fancy it :)

Crackerz

Visit site
For the shirt, unless you plan on competing in the depths of winter, just buy short sleeve shirts. I have this one https://www.naylors.com/shires-short-sleeve-tie-shirt-yellow/

Bargain!! Just ordered 1, not that i don't already have a million yellow shirts haha

Edited to add, if it's a darker brown tweed, i'd probably look out second hand green one, but that's mostly because i think the darker brown tweeds look a bit cheap, so it's my personal pref.

Also, if you don't want to use a pelham you don't have to, any bit is pretty much suitable for workers even in the open classes :)

Last edited:

Chippers1

Visit site
If I could work out how to post a photo I would show my current wear! It's lighter brown so that's lucky 😅 I'm thinking about getting a new one when I have some spare cash, I'll probably stick to brown but will go for lighter brown again!

Yes I know he can go in his normal sniffle but he does go nicely in the Pelham too so I could use either really, I feel that the Pelham just gives him a bit more...ummm..refinement lets say instead if going full on hunting pace at the jumps 😅