Cortaflex and age

Law

Visit site
Hello All

This isn't for me but a friend and I were talking about cortaflex and slight stiffness.
The horse in question is about 12 I think and the owner was thinking about putting it on a joint supplement as they are a little stiff in the morning coming out of their box. The owner was wondering if putting them on cortaflex at this age would reduce its effectiveness in later life when the horse 'really' needs it. ie the horse wouldn't have anything stronger to go onto when it became more stiff with age.

Anyone know?

brightmount

Visit site
Cortaflex isn't the strongest supplement, there is cortavet for example, and a whole range of other supplements for arthritis, so I wouldn't be put off from trying cortaflex at 12.

Chex

Visit site
I suppose there's so many opinions on joint supplements, but I don't think cortaflex is as strong as some others, like cortavet, cortaflex HA etc. At the stage Chex is at, its too late for joint supplements, as they're more of a preventative (and also arthritis isn't curable). This is coming from my vet, so don't know if its correct or not! I would think a joint supplement would be a good idea. I used to use the herbal ones, thinking I'd hold off for the chemical ones (or whatever they're made of) when he needed it more.

Law

Visit site
Thanks all for the replies
smile.gif

Chex that's what she is thinking of doing, equimins something or other now and cortaflex in later life.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive put all mine on Superflex (same sort of thing) and one of them is only 8, another only 6! (others are oldies). I dont think the 6yr old needs it though. The 8yo I didnt think was stiff at all, but I have definately seen results with Superflex.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I always put my horses on joint supplements regardless of any problems - as a preventative measure. Most joint problems come as a result of wear and tear - the synovial fluid between the two bones wears down and joint supplements are designed to help the horses natural ability to regenerate this fluid.

As others have mentioned - there are stonger supplements than cortaflex - Cortavet being the vet strength version. Theres also been a multitude of threads on this forum about products like synequin and newmarket supplement - both of which should be strong products.

Id definitly recommend your friend tries one of the supplements out there regardless of the horses age as it's easier to prevent joint problems than it is to deal with them once they occur.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think most of the professional rider use a joint supplement as a matter of course, they don't wait for the horse to get to a certain age or start to display a problem. It's used as a preventative measure. I wouldn't have a problem putting my horse on it at all.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
hello,
My mare had navicular in her last years and if she didn't have her cortaflex she would be lame and an unhappy neddy, but with her cortaflex she was a spritly old bird.
A friends horse who is 18hh and 16 has just started it and the effects are clear, he is much happier.
I too take the human cortaflex for severe arthritis in my paws and it defintatly helps me too, so personally I can't sing it's praises enough, give it a go what have you got to lose (other than the expense!)

Twiglet

Visit site
I took my horse off Cortaflex recently to change to pure Glucosamine - he's been on Cortaflex for 8 years - and the difference was immediate. Very much not a happy horsey.

He's now back on it and very keen to get working again!

monstermunch

Visit site
Preventative is definately better than cure. i would have no hesitation in putting any horse on a joint supplememnt from a young age. It is not something that you become immune to so feeding high levels from day one is actually more beneficial. For best results they should be put on a high strength joint supplement from day one and remain on it long term. You are best to put a horse on one compound at a very high level, such as glucosamine, than all three at a low level. If price is an issue long term start them on a very high strength glucosamine and you can at least move up to using two (Glu & MSM) or three compounds (chondroitin, glu, MSM) if needed. High strength from day one is the best route to go. Will have the biggest impact in preventing damage.

It is never to late either for joint supplements. I have several clients with golden oldies who were lame due to various joint conditions. I put them on a therapy grade joint supplement and 6 out of the 7 came sound.
Arthritis is in-curable but despite its onset you can do a massive amount to help and have a huge impact by feeding joint supplements. However they have to be at the correct levels or thay aren't very effective.

Do your research and compare labels to be sure your product of choice has high levels in it.
smile.gif