Cortaflex/Glucosamine Arthritus HELP

Emshad

Visit site
Hi all,

As previously posted my pony has a recently diagnosed pedal bone fracture which has slightly/fractionally gone up into the coffin joint. The vets don’t think it is serious enough to operate and have medicated the joint etc but I asked the question are there any supplements which I can give now to reduce the risk of acute arthritis/arthritis at a later date. I was told cortaflex but glocosamine should be the overpowering ingredient. I know little if nothing about joint suppliments especially equine America cortaflex as they have so many products!! so any information or feedback would be much appreciated……xxx

shokkyy

Visit site
Some of those supplements can be very expensive and most have lots of trace elements as well as the main ingredients. Personally I use a Riaflex joint supplement. They have three grades of supplement available - one with just glucosamine, one with glucosamine and MSM, and one with glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin. No other trace elements of anything else, just simple supplements at very reasonable prices. I've been using the glucosamine/MSM as a preventive supplement on my 16 year old since he was 12, and he's still as bendy and supple as he was when he was 4.

StinkiPinki

Visit site
I used to feed cortaflex, but was shocked when someone told me to read the label, and when i did i found out that it was mainly dried alfalfa and sugar! eeekk!
I always read the labels now of any supplement and i went for one which contained just MSM, HA, Chondrotin, glutamine, Glucosamine and antioxidents. I cant afford to waste money on dried alfalfa and sugar at the mo!

sye777

Visit site
Hiya I would second the riaflex complete. Fantastic results for one of my boys. In fact I was about to post regarding him as truth is I had not realised how much we relied on it until I "lost"
crazy.gif
my riaflex this week and had to wait for another batch. Now worried I am asking too much of him and now dont know what to do
confused.gif
However the product is the best!!

traceyann

Visit site
I use recovery eq expensive best i ever used and i have tried them all including riaflex noticed difference in three days

tanira

Visit site
interestingly i have just had my horse diagnosed with the same thing over the last couple of days and after talking to diffrent people have had some questionable opinions.
i asked my vet what he suggested and he said "feeding your horse suppliments from off the shelf will tend to be lost out of your horses behind!"
she told me to buy a pure glucosamine suppliment because feeding glucosamine with chondroitin can actually reduce absortion of both.
However, a couple of other horses are going through similar problems and the three vets have all given conflicting answred and belive what the other vets have proscribed, this includes cortaflex and another expensive pure glucosaime suppliment (im not sure of it's name), are rubbish.
This has caused me a lot of confusion and basically left me to belive if you try something and it seems to work stick to it because not even the vets can agree on whats good for your horse!
confused.gif

Annieann

Visit site
Synoquin, with additional MSM are the best that work for my pony. Although these supplements are expensive I do think you pay for what you get.