Cortaflex/Glucosamine HELP!!!!

Emshad

Visit site
Hi all,

As previously posted my pony has a recently diagnosed pedal bone fracture which has slightly/fractionally gone up into the coffin joint. The vets don’t think it is serious enough to operate and have medicated the joint etc but I asked the question are there any supplements which I can give now to reduce the risk of acute arthritis/arthritis at a later date. I was told cortaflex but glucosamine should be the overpowering ingredient. I know little if nothing about joint suppliments especially equine America cortaflex as they have so many products!! so any information or feedback would be much appreciated……xxx

spaniel

Visit site
You need to get onto the Equine America site and look at what they say about the molecule sizes. A lot of the cheaper glucosamine products DO have a higher dse but their delivery methods are not so well researched.

I Used Equine Americas Cortavet on my cob who had an arthritic hock and that did seem to be the product that suited him (you can buy it online from Equine pharmacy - Hyperdrug).

Ive seen it used on a number of quite badly crippled older horses who have become more sound within quite a short period so to me it does work for some horses.

In the end a lot of this will be down to trial and error but if it were me I would certainly used the Cortavet to begin with.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Lollipop,
All horses are different, and react to different things.
For things like joint supplements you need to pay the money, don't go a cheap option (if they are really needed, as is obvious here).
When selecting one avoid anything that can't tell you exactly how it works.
Cortaflex HA liquid, or the Equistro one would be my choice.

ladyt25

Visit site
I have recently had this discussion with my horsey physio guy. As I just wanted some joint supplement. I have been put off cortaflex as the ingredients note 'derived from mammalian tissue' which I don't really fancy! He actually recommended Topspec joint supplement (he didn't even mention cortaflex/cortavet) and said this was the best one in his opinion as the main ingredient is glucosamine (as with all joint supplements) but apparently there is another ingredient in Topspec - that is missing from other supplements on the market - that improves the glucosamine uptake into the system.

I cannot remember the name of the ingredient but may be worth contacting them (Topspec) to see what they say. As far as I know it doesn't contain any product derived from animals (although i do not know for sure!).

M_G

Visit site
I rate the equine america cortaflex with HA powder (small tub with yellow lid) vv expensive but works on my old boy
grin.gif

M_G

Visit site
Topspec is Glucosamine and MSM which are the two main factors in producing Chondroitin (the joint lubricant). It really is a matter of what works for one may not work for another.

I went straight in with the most expensive and TBH it works so well I wont ever change it

M_G

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I asked my vet what he thought of MSM, and his exact words were, 'whats MSM?' (whilst giving me a shake of the head).

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL that will teach me for listening to an equine nutritionist
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have found that giving them a daily measure of linseed (purchased in large tubs in a powder form) helps as it appeasrs to be an anti-inflamatory. Also keep the weight of your horse down and give it regular daily excercise (hacking out at a walk) if arthritis is formed.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Ok I worked for one of the big player in the joint suppliment market (not any more), but learnt loads about them-

Do not use Cortaflex- if you read the tub it says something like - contains the smaller molecules which produce glucosamine and chondrotin, its sugar powder which is expensive (im sure it works for some)

You must have Glucosamine and Chrodrotin - else dont bother studies show that these 2 together do the best job.

MSM is sulphur but its also a antioxidant and anti-imflamatory so you dont want to much in it.

The only ones which have studies to prove they work are Cosequin, Synequin, Naf, and Vets Vits it just depends on your budget.

hope that helps

StinkiPinki

Visit site
I am always put of by Cortaflex when i read the ingredients, the biggest inclusion is dried alfalfa, and then its sugar!!

There are definatly better, more effective products out there in my opinion, just compare labels

Annieann

Visit site
I agree with Twinkle_Poppy! I've tried Cortaflex, and did not see any difference at all with my pony.

She's now on Synequin and MSM and it works brill - expensive but well recommended