cortavet?

_daisy_

Visit site
does anyone use this. Just that Ebi is on her last tub of synequin, and its going to cost me a fortune now ive used my supply that i got on the insurance. I was thinking of trying her on cortavet or cortaflex. Now i know Synequin is currently costing £135+vat per tub. I think that i can get cortavet for approx £85 a tub.
What id like to know is if it really any better than cortaflex. The last thing i want to do is take Ebi off Synequin and put her on something that doesnt work or work as well. Id prefer to pay the extra, and skint myself and buy her the synequin.

spaniel

Visit site
I used Cortaflex for a few years before being introduced to Cortavet by my vet who used it to treat a very crocked veteran pony on the yard. The difference it made to that pony was marked and took less than a week so I transfered over to the CV myself.

I can honestly say that within a few weeks my arthritic horses stride length was significantly improved so I would definitely recommend it as long as the ingredients match up to the condition you are trying to alleviate.

_daisy_

Visit site
she was given the synequin as she has ringbone in her coffin joints and fetlocks. Think the main reason they gave her synequin was because i was claiming through the insurers.
They gave her the synequin as a joint supplement to see if it would supress any further action in her joints.
googled cortavet and found that on another forum they say that cortavet has devils claw in it. Is this right? Am i right in thinking that if everything goes to plan next year she would have to come off cortavet (if it contains DC) because im looking at putting her back in foal?

spaniel

Visit site
Nope no Devils Claw. If you can hang on till tomorrow I will bring mine home and post the ingredients list for you.

I have a feeling they have been posted before actually....not sure how good the search facility is on here now but if youve got time you might find the post. Will bring mine home anyway just in case.

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks Spans that would be great. I didnt think it wouldve had but thought id check before putting her on it. Ill try and have a look for ingredients vai search

Louby

Visit site
Im using cortavet at the mo but as a preventative. I feed the low dosage which probably makes it like cortaflex. My old mare had ringbone and Ive got to say I didnt see any difference with cortavet liquid (was on insurance claim) but when insurance ran out I sceptically tried Feedmarks Flexamine as it was half price. My god, she was like a spring lamb. Absoloutely full of it. All I can think is this is what she should have been like minus the ringbone. I suppose what works for one doesnt for another. My vet said just make sure what ever you buy has at least 10 mg (I think its mg) of Glucosomine as a lot of the so called joint supplements are mainly flour!
Good luck I hope you find a cheaper alternative.

Horseymum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I use cortavet-is brilliant and ive tried a few joint supplements!
I get it online for about £35 a tub-cheaper than the vet!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi. I too am interested in Cortavet. Can you let me know how long a tub lasts on the maintenance dose, is it a month or more?

_daisy_

Visit site
can you let me know which place you get it from cos at £35 a tub its going to work out approx £50 cheaper.
how long does one tub last you on maintenance dose

judymoon

Visit site
have you looked at chondrogen EQ, its fantastic got gluco/chondroitin and HA and works out pretty cost effective at £180 for a 5 month supply

hotheaded

Visit site
grin.gif
Hi there,
As an equine therapist I would encourage you to ensure you read the label of any joint supplememnt you use. Most leading brands massively underdose horses despite the hype behind how great they are. This is true even with supplememnts vets give out. As a rule of thumb you should be feeding 10g/10,000mg glucosamine, 10g/10,000mg MSM, and 4g/4,000mg of chondroitin daily. Any less than this and it won't have a significant effect on your horse. Try looking on the website for Riaflex products. Thery are a new range out formulated and produced by an equine therapist. THerapy grade standard very high strength and very affordable. Loads of ino on why you should feed it and what each compound does etc. The site also offers free advice on all equine injuries, behavioural issues, and fitnes training from a qualified therapist. Well worth you checking out. Type in riaflex-equine to a search engine and it should come up.
Hope this helps. Good luck!