Cosequin, Synequin or alternative reviews please.

westparc

Visit site
Hi, I have been recommended the above (by my vet) for my mare who has been diagnosed with ringbone in her fore leg.

She is 18 but very active, so I would love to keep her in work if she's happy.

Have you got any reviews on the above. They seem so expensive but if they work I am happy to try.

Thank you in advance.

bluehorse

Visit site
Hi, I have used Synequin on 2 of mine, with good results. Most notably with my retired boy who has arthritis in his hocks. He was uncomfortable for the farrier when he was trimmed, but Synequin (which was the only supplement I added) seemed to make a noticeable difference. What I would say about Synequin is that it is extremely expensive when you go through the loading and transition doses, once you get to the maintenance dose it is pretty economical. A tub costing about £120 should last about 6 months. if you are insured I would recommend trying to get it through the insurance to cover the first few months, from there on it's no more expensive than anything else and cheaper than many.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Im another one who was recommended Synequin and use it for both my horses. Took my mare off it when I couldnt afford it, she was noticeably worse. Shes back on it now and is very obviously much better. If you can afford to use it and can claim it as part of an Insurance claim then I would recommend using it. NFU in my case covered it upon recommendation by my Vet.

westparc

Visit site
It's lovely to hear positive reviews about the supplements before paying that much and wasting money if it didn't work

Doublethyme

Visit site
I've used and rate Cosequin, but i never but it in UK as pricing is horrendous. i buy from the US and even with customs charges it works out half the price and very cost effective

Tegan

Visit site
I use Synequin for my cob who has arthritis. I do think it helps and was recommended by my vet and was paid for by my insurance company for the first year. He has been on it for 7 years now. Periodically I ask my vet whether it is still the best joint supplement and so far he has said it is. It doesn't work out too expensive once you have done the loading dose as you only have to feed it every other day. I shop around online and it usually costs £120 for 1kg. I try and buy the sachets as I think it keeps it fresh and means the dose is exact. He has also has two tildren treatments which have definitely helped immensely. I don't know whether this is an option with ring bone. The first was 7 years ago and the second last year when he started to get sore again. After last years flare up I decided to keep him as a happy hacker but until last summer we successfully competed at elementary dressage and jumped up to 3ft. Not bad for a 19 year old chunky cob.

bluehorse

Visit site
Don't rush - go for Riaflex Complete. Same make-up as Synequin - but a fraction of the price. My vet recommends synequin to clients who have insurance paying, Riaflex to everyone else! http://www.riaflex.co.uk/ I've had very good results with it.

Thanks for that recommendation - interesting! I have been lucky in that I've had 2 years of synequin on the insurance as it was recommended for both of them by my vet. I will shortly have to buy my own so am now going to have a nosey at Riaflex.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Riaflex kept my husband's old hunter going to 22 - and he'd hunted since he was 4. I've currently got a 22 year old WB on it. He hunted hounds for 10 years after starting as an eventer - he's now a staff lesson horse because he USUALLY remembers his education and he didn't like retirement!