Cost for converting arable to pasture?

hollyoz

New User
Visit site
Hi,

We are in the process of trying to buy 3.5 acres of arable land which we would convert to pasture to be used for horses in a few years.

I have seen on other posts that said we would need to apply for change of use and have the field ploughed, harrowed, fertilised, sprayed (to remove any weeds), rolled and seeded. We would also need to fence 3 sides of it as it's currently open to a larger field, approx 400m. We would also need to hedge 275m

However I cannot find anywhere typical costs, has anyone else done anything similar to this and could give me a rough idea of costs?

Thanks for anyone that can answer any of my questions. :)

Spotherisk

Visit site
Try Perrie Hale for prices for hedging. Fencing, we had three sides of a 1.5 acre field done last year, chestnut posts and stock fencing, two plain strands of wire, I think that was a couple of grand, we did have a few extras too, gateways made and hung, strainers etc. Hope that helps.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
As long as you are only growing grass and grazing it/making hay then no change of use needed. It is when you start riding in the fields that it needs to become amenity land.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
I put in a mixed native hedge about 185 m long a couple of years ago. The cost of the plants came to just under £400 but I did all the work myself (it's very easy to do but a bit time-consuming), so you would need to factor that in if you wanted to get someone in to do it. I bought some of the plants from Ashridge Nursery and some from Hopes Grove Nursery - they both do an 'economy mix' of native hedging species.

I have had fencing done too in the past but can't remember the costs or find any of the invoices, which is not particularly helpful!

chaps89

Visit site
I had a quote 2 years ago to remove existing rotted fencing and replace with round posts, equine netting and wide tape and it was £5600 plus VAT. This was around 2 sides of a 3 acre field from memory.

honetpot

Visit site
If the field is fairly level and it has had a crop in it, I would get someone to come and spray off any weeds, if there is a huge amount, and direct drill the grass seed. Done in September the germination rate will be better and you are not dragging up even more weed seeds to the top. In spring get someone to put some sheep on it and give it a long acting fertiliser and it should be good to go.
A huge cost in fencing is the labour, I would have a look at Clipex fencing, it's easily erected without machinery, my husband can put them in on his own in clay, and doesn't rot. I am replacing all my very expensive Jacksons posts as each one rots or breaks with it, I have stock fencing and then run a line of electric on the top to keep them off it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
We bought a field that had a barley crop still on it. Fencing was £10 a meter for post and rail - more than 10 years ago - you can get quotes for this. I've just put in some horse netting (which I love) for £15 a meter.

We had grants for hedging from local council and a friend has just done similar so they are still around - just backbreaking to dig in all the hedge plants - if you want to pay someone to do that for you I'd imagine it's lots.

We paid to have it seeded - (farmer who was taking the crop off) he didn't charge that much - £20 an hour for his time - you can find seed cost / acre online - you can spend load or horse mixes if you'd like

It's then years or topping (or borrowing sheep) over seeding, spraying (if you get weeds through - no point i doing that until you know what grows)

Fencing will be biggest cost - but the pain will be getting a stable quality grass bed - time not money will sort that.

sunnyone

Visit site
Having had 2 and a half acres with our house some years ago. We got a local farmer to plough and roll the land, then installed the fencing ourselves: wooden post and plain wire to two sides. The other 2 sides being typical Victorian metal post and rail. As part of our fencing work we divided the land so that one half could always be resting and the horses diet was not over rich in Spring and Autumn.

We also buried a water pipe to a mid-point which we used initially for watering the meadow mix grass seed. The seed was sown the old fashioned way i.e. broadcast by hand. Later we had an old bath at the tap point so that water was available to the horses 24/7 and I could reduce the size of a paddock if need be without causing distress to the horses.

The grass was cut regularly by a garden tractor which kept weeds to a minimum, as our aim was to establish an old meadow asap. We never weed sprayed and only very rarely fertilised.

Later we planted a thorn hedge, but that was a mistake as the thorns tended to get in the tyres when grass cutting. Another local farmer with a flail cut the paddock hedge, and the roadside holly one, once a year for £50.

This was all very labour intensive but kept costs to a minimum.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Just had 4 acres put to grass in May. No weed killer or fertiliser. Got a load of weeds up from the seed bank but we're topping them so they can't seed and am hoping they'll be gone after they die off for winter. The grasses doing really well now.

Cost was about £300 for the farmer to plough, prepare the seed bed, roll, plant and roll again and about £80 per acre for the seeds. So £700? Not sure about fencing. I do have a stretch to do but we're spreading the cost a bit and will do the fence only when we need to... just one side to fence though thankfully!

No change of use needed for us.