Cost of 5 stage vetting

hock

Visit site
About £500 for a well regarded vet and tbh why would you want anyone else to do the cert? I’ve just sold a very expensive horse and the vet that did the cert was worth every penny he was there 2.5 hours and crawled all over him. I don’t get my horses vetted but if I ever decide to in future I would definitely want him and I’d want X-rays.

Birker2020

Visit site
er decide to in future I would definitely want him and I’d want X-rays.
Its my understanding that xrays are very subjective, they can be open to misinterpretation.

Vet and physio both said you can xray 10 horses, 8 can have degenerative changes, only 1 may be in pain.
Following a fall when I tripped, and my knee swelled and produced massive heat a few days later it was queried for septic arthritis and xrayed at A&E. I was told I had quite extensive arthritis in that joint. However I hadn't ever felt it.

So I'd never have known about it.

hock

Visit site
Its my understanding that xrays are very subjective, they can be open to misinterpretation.

Vet and physio both said you can xray 10 horses, 8 can have degenerative changes, only 1 may be in pain.
Following a fall when I tripped, and my knee swelled and produced massive heat a few days later it was queried for septic arthritis and xrayed at A&E. I was told I had quite extensive arthritis in that joint. However I hadn't ever felt it.

So I'd never have known about it.

I’m happy to be subjective myself on X-rays. I would never turn down X-rays if I was problem solving my own horses. I know enough to have the right people be subjective on my behalf.

Greylegs

Visit site
Had one done just before Christmas, and it was just shy of £500.00 including taking (but not testing) bloods, took nearly 2 hours and was very thorough. Testing bloods would be another £200.00. I didn't have x-rays.

Thank goodness she passed .... wouldn't want to do that again in a hurry.

Birker2020

Visit site
I’m happy to be subjective myself on X-rays. I would never turn down X-rays if I was problem solving my own horses. I know enough to have the right people be subjective on my behalf.
I should have worded it better. They have their place if you are trying to find an existing issue, so if your horse is lame and you xray the foot for example.

I had one of my own years ago that was painful on his neck - chiro found it. So he was x-rayed and had changes which were then medicated.