Cost of a horse

spacefaer

Visit site
The answer to your question varies hugely on whether you're keeping a horse at home, at livery - what type of livery, what part of the country? What facilities you have /need. The type of horse, how much it eats, how accident prone it is......

It's a very open ended question!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
How long is a piece of string?

I kept a diary for a year. I had one competing horse and a companion pony, both kept at home.

A lorry (loan, insurance, maintenance worked out at £100 a month for a few things too - just maintenance, diesel at another £120 a month as we were out a couple of times a week - 1 lesson and one competition or hack from a different location, or more facilities), lessons, affiliation to 3 different societies (BE/BS/BD) competition entries, insurance (over £100 a month just for that), shoeing (£80 a month just for that, plus trimming for pony, so another £100 a month), and we haven't started on tack, feed, bedding, hay, maintenance of stuff around the house such as fixing the roof, keeping the arena up to scratch...

If the lorry was around £300 a month on a good year, plus horse insurance £100, plus farrier £100, lessons/hire/entries £200, well that is £700 a month before feed/hay/bedding/livery even comes into it. Then add in vaccinations, vets up to excess, fly spray, fly rugs etc etc etc.

Then when Jay Man (my beautiful heart horse) retired, he had cheap 3rd party insurance (I would not have done major vet interventions), no need for a lorry, no lessons, I trimmed feet myself... it was a heck of a lot cheaper! He still had 10 bales of bedding at £6 a bale, 20 bales of hay at £5, vaccinations. So, he was around £200 all in. I did also still ride him out gently, just around the village.

Same horse too, from £1000 a month to £200 a month just because we changed plan.

So, it really is how long is a piece of string, and what you want to do with the horse as well as where it is kept.

AFB

Visit site
Everything...they cost everything....your money, your life, your sanity, your happiness

This!!

In reality I spend about £300 a month (I did the maths before getting our mortgage) plus the cost for my box and entry fees/facility hire/lessons.

I'm DIY on a yard very close to home with a low maintenance horse and I self insure. You could easily triple that cost if you upped to full livery, had something that needed feeding, stuck a full set of shoes on and insured.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I spend the best part of about £1200 a month, that includes full livery for my older boy and youngstock livery for the baby. That doesn’t include supplements, shoes, lessons, comp fees, my matchy addiction or any of the other bajillion things that seem to crop up and deplete my bank account each month...if I added up those I’m pretty sure I’d end up divorced ?

AFB

Visit site
I budget around £840 each month.

Buying a horse is cheap compared to owning a horse!
I spend the best part of about £1200 a month, that includes full livery for my older boy and youngstock livery for the baby. That doesn’t include supplements, shoes, lessons, comp fees, my matchy addiction or any of the other bajillion things that seem to crop up and deplete my bank account each month...if I added up those I’m pretty sure I’d end up divorced ?

Christ! I knew I kept mine cheaply but :oops:

pixie

Visit site
Mine costs about £100 per month, because he stays on the yard that I run on our farm. We make our own hay and straw, so I don't pay for those either. He is a good doer, so is out 24/7 all year round unless the weather is horrendous.
I pretty much just pay for insurance, vaccinations, wormers and hoof trim every 10-12 weeks.

V&F

Visit site
I have kept a spreadsheet of all my horse costs since 2018.

Jan-Dec 2019 they cost me £8,726 that includes everything from livery (diy for 2 x ponies), feed, insurance for one of them, bedding, hay, supplements, worming, physio, saddle fitter, vets bills - lots of them!, and any non essential extras like saddle pads ?

I’d say an average month is £400-500 for the pair. Although we had a lot of vet bills last year which came to £2500ish.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Christ! I knew I kept mine cheaply but :oops:

Tell me about it! Sadly it’s the only way I can keep my horses for now as I work crazy hours on the other side of the country. That said, we’re hopefully relocating in the not too distant future so it’s not forever. I’m just lucky the crazy hours enable me the luxury of having them on full livery. Knowing they’re getting the best care at least assuages some of the guilt of not being as hands on as I would like ?

FrostKitten

Visit site
I've just purchased a mare who on DIY Livery is due to cost me £350 per month before buying anything extra she may need, and I've spent £500 on tack and other gear as I didn't have a horse beforehand.

mini_b

Visit site
I posted a while back we don’t add it up.

I don’t want to think about it ? and don’t think OH really wants to know either.

FrostKitten

Visit site
I posted a while back we don’t add it up.

I don’t want to think about it ? and don’t think OH really wants to know either.

I wish I was in that position but I had to figure out if it was affordable and how it would affect my savings. Needless to say OH wasn't best pleased when I told him she'd cost more than my half of our rent and our car payment... But he went to visit the livery yard with me and now he's sold on the idea *shrugs*

Misty 2020

Visit site
I pay €415 a month for full livery (it doesn’t include people riding my horse) Shoes are every 6-8 weeks I aim to get to 8 weeks its €55 . Dentist is twice a year because my horse has bad teeth which is €68 per visit . Flu vaccine is once per year which is €50 . Worming can very in cost which Is done every 3 months.

It really depends on the area you live in . i have to say that every month is different i could have to pay for shoes one month or I could just have my livery bill only the next month. I live in Ireland ??

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
I budget £500 per month to average out over the year. DIY livery which is 24/7 June - November, so no bedding costs for those months. Horse eats haylage which is £75 a month in winter. I go through a bale of hay (£4) every week in summer to supplement grazing. She's only insured third party at approx. £80 a year. She's shod front only so £40 every 6 weeks on the dot. In the grand scheme of it, she's fairly cheap to keep. But I'm still skint every month.

Ruth89

Visit site
Mine costs about £150 a month per horse as I'm on a farm so luckily have stables and plenty of grazing available.

Don't have horse trailer or go to shows just hack about at home so the cost is just for shoes, vet, insurance,hay and hard feed!

abbijay

Visit site
At the start of lockdown I sat down and did the maths as we were being financially squeezed.
My old boy is on full retirement livery at £250pm (all in) and I decided to cancel his insurance that was £100pm.
Every month my ridden costs me £400-500 in livery (depending on bedding and 1 muck out a week in winter and wormer),
insurance £45,
shoes £125 (he's a shire horse) every 6w,
lessons £35 x3per month
Competition/farmride/outing £50 (Once a month including petrol to tow there)
Hard feed £1.20 per day - handful of chaff & vit supplement and a few carrots
So that's £750-800pm and doesn't account for extras like broken tack/rugs/equipment, trailer service, insurance and breakdown cover, BD membership, saddler, vet or physio visits. I can generally spread things like that out to just be once a month but probably works out at £50-80 extra every month. And there are probably other things I haven't accounted for!
So I need in excess of £1,000pm to keep them both!

Widgeon

Visit site
Around £450 a month on a good DIY livery yard, insurance and all the occasional expenses like feed, farrier, vet, lessons, bedding.

I'm about the same as this, on a good assisted DIY yard with owner / instructor on site.

Livery: £250-£280 per month (depending on the length of the month! It's charged per week; this includes hay, bedding in winter and basic hard feed)
Lessons: 3 x £25 lessons
Insurance: £37 per month for pretty comprehensive insurance
Shoes: Farrier works out at about £40 per month for a full set with road nails
Other bits: £40 per month (new girth, cost of a fun ride etc)

This is for a 15.1hh good doer sporty type cob, 11 years old and no wonky bits yet! No transport so just lots of local hacking with friends and work in the school.

ETA when I worked out costs before buying a horse I costed for about £350 per month, and I knew we could comfortably afford that. Somewhat inevitably the reality is more expensive (but I've just "upgraded" from a barefoot hairy who didn't need rugging) so if I were you, I would say, work out your expected costs, add about £100 per month, and make sure you can afford the result.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've kept my native on DIY for £250 on DIY in the past. I have also spent much more on DIY when I was using assistance, supplementing poor summer grazing with hay, supplements/medications, extra bedding over winter or over Spring if I had to limit grazing depending upon the yard

He's now on part (grass/track) livery and I try to budget about £600-700 per month all in including averaging out cost of brefoot trimmer, physiotherapist, saddle fitter, lessons, clinics and replacing/new 'stuff' where needed.

My native is barefoot, only gets a feed for his supplement and is we don't compete but I do really enjoy learning/training so we have lessons and take part in clinics - which makes it more expensive.

I've always kept a spreadsheet though, so know exactly where the money is going.

Circe2

Visit site
I have to confess that this thread makes me terribly depressed.. I’d say that my boy costs me the best part of £1400 each month.

Before anyone thinks I’m insane, I work full time 9-5/6 and have to live in the big smoke due to OH’s job (albeit I only work from the office once a week, and solely from home now with Covid!). The idea is that in a couple of years we’ll be moving out to the country and I’ll be able to keep the boy at home.

Current breakdown of cost:
- £900 for full livery, including all food, mucking, bedding (shavings), turnout (in/out/rugging), grooming & feet (when I’m not there), washing, exercise when I’m not there, clipping, free use of arenas (indoor/outdoor) and hacking, worming, staff to be there during vaccinations and farrier and so on, my own small tack room, tack cleaning, rug washing, rug mending, horse walker.
- Separate cost for farrier (£45)
- As many lessons as I can get (ideally each week, £45 a pop)
- Approximately £200 set aside each month towards vet (ie self insurance) - I pay annual 3rd party liability and external injury insurance (Around £120)
- other bits and bobs spread across the year ie dentist, saddle fitter, replacements of kit

It genuinely pains me to write it down, though I suppose the boy is happy and gets to experience the life of the 1% ?

I am but his humble servant....