Cost of arena surface...

IdoShowing

Visit site
So before I start ringing up companies & start spluttering down the phone at them when they tell me the price of a surface...how much does one cost nowadays?
I don’t want a sand/rubber one, I’m thinking more down the ‘economical’ ones from Martin Collins/Andrews Bowen/Equestrian Surfaces etc. Would be for a 60x30 arena.
Anyone got any prices???
Thanks

kathantoinette

Visit site
A lot of the cost depends on haulage for the materials. You need a huge amount of materials in an arena. Also cost of fencing is to be considered. Rough cost for arena with sand and fibre 60x30 approx 40k. Fencing could be around £30 a metre depending on how many rails. We’re based East Yorkshire and obviously costs can vary depending on where you are. The actual cost for building an arena is not that much I.e. the machine for the digging, it’s the materials where the money goes! Be wary of people who can do it ‘cheap’.

catembi

Visit site
I have just (today) had quotes from 2 different companies for a whole 20x40 school of just fibre, & including delivery one is just under £3k & the other v slightly less.

catembi

Visit site
I took my horse to a gallops made of a v similar surface.

If you want to look at their websites, the two who have just quoted are the top ones (first is the cheaper), and the third is the one whose gallops I tried (discovered that my QH is supersonically fast!) and who was about £1k more the last time I enquired, but I asked again today.

https://www.kennyequestriansurfaces.com/

https://www.carpetgallop.co.uk/standalone-arena-surfaces/

https://roadefibres.com/

The surfaces look v v similar to me, but don't take my word for anything as this was my first go at an arena in my previous property. DO NOT DO THIS! www.cheapmanege.weebly.com :eek::eek::mad:

TheMule

Visit site
I did a lot of research and would not use fibre without a base of silica sand, even though they say you can and it can work on gallops

Trouper

Visit site
I would suggest fast work and schooling are very different activities and I would want a firm surface under a fibre one for the latter. Please do not try to economise by using building sand rather than silica sand under fibre - have had experience of a school with this set up and it was horrendous to ride and maintain!!

EventingMum

Visit site
Andrews Bowen do great surfaces but are £££s. I recently changed my indoor surface and used Equi-Est for a waxed fibre and silica sand. They were significantly cheaper than anyone else and I'm delighted with the surface, it rides every bit as well as the Andrews Bowen surface we have outside. Although based in Gloucester they were happy to come to Scotland. They also do non waxed surfaces but the difference in cost made the waxed an attractive option - from memory the non waxed was about 75% of the cost of waxed.

TreeDog

Visit site
My YO went for a cheap carpet surface and it was totally unsuitable. They tried to make it work but ultimately have had to remove it. Don't know if they got any money back and it's been nearly a year with the school unusable :( if you choose carpet be careful to buy from a reputable company!

Leo Walker

Visit site

If you want to look at their websites, the two who have just quoted are the top ones (first is the cheaper), and the third is the one whose gallops I tried (discovered that my QH is supersonically fast!) and who was about £1k more the last time I enquired, but I asked again today.

The surfaces look v v similar to me, but don't take my word for anything as this was my first go at an arena in my previous property. DO NOT DO THIS! www.cheapmanege.weebly.com :eek::eek::mad:

Roade fibres is very close to where I live. They supplied the surface for a yard I was on. It may or may not have been a decent surface, but as it was chucked down onto builders sand it made the arena unusable. The actual fibre itself seemed very deep and full of very long strands though.

I cant imagine carpet fibre on its own would be usable as a surface though no matter how good it was!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site

Wow I've just looked at kennyequestriansurfaces.com. How dreadful. So sorry, all that cost and back breaking work for nothing.

juliuet18a

New User
Visit site
Andrews Bowen do great surfaces but are £££s. I recently changed my indoor surface and used Equi-Est for a waxed fibre and silica sand. They were significantly cheaper than anyone else and I'm delighted with the surface, it rides every bit as well as the Andrews Bowen surface we have outside. Although based in Gloucester they were happy to come to Scotland. They also do non waxed surfaces but the difference in cost made the waxed an attractive option - from memory the non waxed was about 75% of the cost of waxed.

I hear increased criticism of waxed surfaces from both vets and professional riders as they apparently lead to horse injuries. Also I heard that waxed surfaces are now banned for international jumping classes, though I couldn't find anything about that online so can't guarantee if it's true, has anyone else heard that? Apparently all big venues abroad are getting rid of waxed and replace them with sand (with idea to keep it well watered).

Our YM decided to use this as an excuse to not to replace our very old surface, which is silica sand and rubber. Unfortunately due to age, almost no rubber left and it's so deep it's unridable most of the summer when dry (though right now it's pretty good) :(

Translationsneeded

Visit site
I’ve just gone for silica sand (£5k ish) and topped with carpet fibre (approx £1k). Can’t comment yet as it’s not down but after a lot of research this seemed to be a good combo for a light use school (that’s on a 20x40)

BBP

Visit site
We have just had ‘fibremix’ surface laid as part of a Charles Britton installation. It’s silica sand premixed with mixed fibres (some carpet type but more the sort of fibre you get in shredded tonney bags). At this time of year with plenty of rain on it it’s the perfect surface for us, the horses go across the top of it like beautiful turf, even if they are loose and having a hooley. I’m pretty sure it will freeze solid in the worst weather and it does say it needs irrigating in the dry which we can’t do, but we have great hacking when things are dry so hopefully not a big problem if we have to stay out for a bit. Sadly I can’t find a quote where the surface itself is separate from the build cost. Ours is 25x40.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Unless you’re on very well draining land there will be the need for around 300 ton of screened hardcore and stone underneath the membranes before the sand/fibre gets put on. With drainage channels put in underneath the stone layers. If these materials aren’t put down, this is where you end up with drainage disaster!
Can’t remember which online user has the website about their arena disaster. It’s a sorry tale.

EventingMum

Visit site
I hear increased criticism of waxed surfaces from both vets and professional riders as they apparently lead to horse injuries. Also I heard that waxed surfaces are now banned for international jumping classes, though I couldn't find anything about that online so can't guarantee if it's true, has anyone else heard that? Apparently all big venues abroad are getting rid of waxed and replace them with sand (with idea to keep it well watered).

Our YM decided to use this as an excuse to not to replace our very old surface, which is silica sand and rubber. Unfortunately due to age, almost no rubber left and it's so deep it's unridable most of the summer when dry (though right now it's pretty good) :(
I hadn't heard that. The not watering was a big factor for me as it's indoors. My Equi-Est surface is slightly "looser" than the Andrews Bowen one and I prefer it as it moves a little with the horses feet.

IdoShowing

Visit site
Thanks for all of your replies-know all about the importance of drainage 😀-other half (non horsey) is putting up the money to build the arena but thinks sand/rubber will be fine, but I said I’d put up the money for the surface so we can get a ‘better’ one so hoping I’ll have enough...!!!

Lady Jane

Visit site
Can anyone recommend contractors? I have a lovely arena which needs maintenance. The surface is partly basalt, drains well, doesn't move or freeze. The people who laid it about 25years ago can't get more of the basalt because the mine has run out so I have to add something or replace it. I have had it maintained a couple of times in the 20 years I have lived here but the company who laid it and previously maintained it are struggling to get out to me as they are based over 3 hours away. I am in South Beds. Suggestions?

NLPM

Visit site
So before I start ringing up companies & start spluttering down the phone at them when they tell me the price of a surface...how much does one cost nowadays?
I don’t want a sand/rubber one, I’m thinking more down the ‘economical’ ones from Martin Collins/Andrews Bowen/Equestrian Surfaces etc. Would be for a 60x30 arena.
Anyone got any prices???
Thanks

I phoned MC recently to discuss surfaces. For a 20x40, it was £9,900 (plus VAT) for an unwaxed surface. For 50x30, it was £18,500 (plus VAT). So I guess from that you could work out a rough price per sq m and see what 60x30 is? Not an exact science as obviously it isn't that straightforward, but it gives you a vague ballpark. At least you know you'd be looking at around 25k+.

sport horse

Visit site
What is the problem with sand and rubber? Mine has been down nearly 19 years. It is silica sand ( out of Reigate pit which is the best for binding together) and rubber and we have topped up the rubber once. It only freezes if we have a really wet spell followed very quickly by freezing conditions. It is used by at least 6 good level sport horses every day. It is a bit too loose when we have prolonged dry weather but so are most surfaces and as we are on a metered water supply it is not likely to be irrigated! At the moment it is perfect. We maintain it with a tractor and levelling attachment which can also spike it when a hard frost is expected so that the top layer is loose and does not freeze solid. I would not have a waxed surface as a gift - too many suggestions that they cause soft tissue injuries. I think in fact they are not permitted for use in show jumping in several EU countries.