Cost of building stables and menage?

CBAnglo

Visit site
Can anyone give me a rough estimate for rebuilding 6 stables (two 16x14, 4 12x14), tack room, feed room, farriers wash down box, 20x40 ménage (post and rail, sand and rubber) with lights? I am looking at insuring my stables etc and have no idea how much they would cost to rebuild as I didn't build them myself. The stables are timber and tile.

The stables are Ascot and the school is by KLH; I was thinking about calling each of the companies but I wasn't sure how helpful they would be as I am not really a customer.

There is also a large barn (20x60) which is timber and tile.

Thank you!

CBAnglo

Visit site
Thanks i think I am going to have to; I don't know who built the barn so I will have to guesstimate it. Most of my friends have built the stables themselves or converted barns to internal stables so they haven't known really either.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ascot stables are really helpful, have got 2 blocks of theirs and the 3 shelters are from them too :)
They did keep copious records, so might be able to give you definate costs from sales dept :)

s4sugar

Visit site
Allow £3K for each stable & ancilliary sheds & 25K for the manege it works out to around £50K. Rebuild needs to allow for clearance after fire but shouldn't need such things as ground levelling for the manege.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I had thought ballpark £50k (hadn't even thought about electricity and water - thanks for the tip).

Each of the stables have their own lights and waterers; I guess this would be included in the £3k per stable figure so will go for £50k all in. I am putting insurance in place today so didn't have time to call the companies (I will do later for a comparison and to see if I need to increase insurance).

Notimetoride

Visit site
Just call the companies and explain it is for insurance purposes. All you want is a ball park figure, not a quote.
I built some timber stables (Redmire), and they had onduline roofs, not tile, block or 6 and a barn and tack room and I think it was about £12k, but that was poss about 8 years ago now. As for the manege, I did it on the cheap for about £7k, but you can be looking at £20k plus depending on spec. Your £50k guesstimate probably isnt far off.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Thanks NTTR: I will call the various companies tomorrow to see how far off I was (I went for £50k). Afterwards I realised that I had I forgotten about the new field shelter at the bottom of one of the fields too, although I am not that bothered about replacing it so wont bother getting a quote for it.

It was interesting to find out that stables are not included in buildings insurance but tack would be covered by contents (even though in the tack room) as it was deemed "part of the building". I had to check this several times, but I will definitely make sure it is a condition on the insurance as it just seems wrong to me!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Thanks NTTR: I will call the various companies tomorrow to see how far off I was (I went for £50k). Afterwards I realised that I had I forgotten about the new field shelter at the bottom of one of the fields too, although I am not that bothered about replacing it so wont bother getting a quote for it.

It was interesting to find out that stables are not included in buildings insurance but tack would be covered by contents (even though in the tack room) as it was deemed "part of the building". I had to check this several times, but I will definitely make sure it is a condition on the insurance as it just seems wrong to me!

Dont forget, most insurers require that the tack room is secured with a 5 lever mortice lock. I had to change insurers because of this, and struggled to find an insurer that didnt require this type of lock (i did find one in the end)