Cost of Cushings test

CazD

Visit site
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would be to test a pony for cushings disease? My loan pony is approx. 26 and, although she moulted this summer, there is a hairy patch on her tummy that didn't really moult. She doesn't show any other signs but, as I've seen the free lab test vouchers I thought it might be worth getting her tested. What costs other than the lab test will there be and how much are they likely to be?

How much is the actual lab test and what saving would the voucher actually make?

ladyt25

Visit site
I understand the test is still free. This is according to the vets anyway and I think it is free until about November as they are trying to do more research in to it. Just had my 27 yo tested and he was positive. He, like yours really wasn'y showing major signs although his normally gorgeous sleek summer coat didn't shed as well last year but I blamed the god awful summer. This year though he lost some weight (he's always normally lived on fresh air) and his summer coat never came through properly at all although he did shed some.

Bigginge

Visit site
There was a company doing free tests (or they reimburse your vet so you don't pay), not sure if this is still being run, give your vets a ring

CazD

Visit site
My understanding is the other cost is any call out for the vet plus them taking the bloods, so call out for me would be about £40 and bloods maybe £20.

Thank you. the vet is due to come out mid-November for vaccinations so I'll try and combine the lot and save the call-out fee.

Fjord

Visit site
I've just had my mare tested for EMS and Cushings. It was on a free call out day and I had a voucher for the Cushings test so only paid for the taking of the blood and one lab test. I *think* the bill came to £56.

nikanita

Visit site
Just cost me £74. No call out fee cos vet was already there, but had to pay for an examination, taking of the blood, postage to send it off and then the lab fee. Negative result. Every year he grows a thick wooly coat which goes curly when he sweats and took much longer to get rid of it this year. Everyone was telling me he had got cushings. Results came back at 32, minimum for cushings is 47. 47 what I don't know just know he is well under.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I suspect my veteran pony has cushings and I just put him on chaste berry powder - he looks amazing now and has a spring in his step. There was a great letter in a recent BHS magazine which told of a cushings pony blood tested on chaste berry and the levels were normal.

tango'smum

Visit site
Just cost me £74. No call out fee cos vet was already there, but had to pay for an examination, taking of the blood, postage to send it off and then the lab fee. Negative result. Every year he grows a thick wooly coat which goes curly when he sweats and took much longer to get rid of it this year. Everyone was telling me he had got cushings. Results came back at 32, minimum for cushings is 47. 47 what I don't know just know he is well under.

really I was told it should be below 26-29

Bertolie

Visit site
I had my boy tested last year using the free test voucher. You will still have to pay the vet callout fee and for them to take the blood - mine came to around£50. At this time of year the result should be 29 or below to be classed as a negative result.

DanielleP

Visit site
Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would be to test a pony for cushings disease? My loan pony is approx. 26 and, although she moulted this summer, there is a hairy patch on her tummy that didn't really moult. She doesn't show any other signs but, as I've seen the free lab test vouchers I thought it might be worth getting her tested. What costs other than the lab test will there be and how much are they likely to be?

How much is the actual lab test and what saving would the voucher actually make?

My test was free, only had to pay for the vet to come out. If you look at this website http://www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/certificate-form/

fingers crossed for your results