Cost of Danilon

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I have just finished my supply of Danilon which I had from a previous insurance claim and have had to buy some more. My vet charged me £98.90 I think for 60. I was absolutely astounded at this so had a look to see how much I could get it for online with a prescription. £52.42 or very similar from Viovet. My horse has to have one danilon a day long term and so I would much rather buy it online.

I cannot believe they can charge me nearly £50 extra for the same product. And yes I understand that they have overheads etc but that is extortionate. The vets practice has already had about £9,000 from me in the last 3 years in vets fees so I feel I have paid my dues with regards their overheads!!

How much does everyone else get theirs for?

ihatework

Visit site
I have just finished my supply of Danilon which I had from a previous insurance claim and have had to buy some more. My vet charged me £98.90 I think for 60. I was absolutely astounded at this so had a look to see how much I could get it for online with a prescription. £52.42 or very similar from Viovet. My horse has to have one danilon a day long term and so I would much rather buy it online.

I cannot believe they can charge me nearly £50 extra for the same product. And yes I understand that they have overheads etc but that is extortionate. The vets practice has already had about £9,000 from me in the last 3 years in vets fees so I feel I have paid my dues with regards their overheads!!

How much does everyone else get theirs for?

I buy mine direct from online pharmacy. Think the last lot I got mine from was animed direct, from memory it was under £50

JillA

Visit site
Have you complained to them? I asked my vet for a prescription for some (again long term use) and rather than do that they discounted it for me. Still not quite as cheap as under £50 + the prescription but not enough difference to rock the boat TBH

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Wow - I rang them and explained my situation and said I simply cannot afford that. They said send box back and we'll send you a prescription. I said I'd keep this box because I'd ordered it and already paid for it but could they send me a repeat prescription out and they said yes and are taking the cost of prescription off what I've already paid so not a problem.

That's cheered me up no end!!

She did say that the online companies are bankrupting the vets and I pointed out if it was a one off, I'd pay full whack but not when my horse is on it longterm.

I feel bad for being cross about it now because a simple phone call has sorted it out.

Last edited:

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I am also fed up of being ripped off by vets for drugs. The cheapest online for Danilon is Vet Medic, free postage. I would order a couple of weeks before you need it (more than enough time but I don't like to start worrying it won't arrive in time!) £44.88 for 60 .....massive saving against my vet who charged me £70!

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I have a Shire mare that is on two sachets of Danilon twice a day, probably for the rest of her life. I was paying over £82 per box from the vet. It was the veterinary practice that suggested I purchase the drug on line. I now buy three boxes for a months' supply at £51.99 per box, from Asset Chemist in Essex. The delivery cost is £3.95. That is a significant savings.

Zuzzie

Visit site
Completely agree with you - its a rip off! However, if your horse will tolerate Pro-Dynam which is exactly the same except its not sugar coated you could save even more. Vet-Medic offer 100 sachets for £51.51 - a huge saving. If you think your horse won't like the taste then you could hide it in his feed or with something tasty. If you're not sure then you could ask your vet to supply a couple of sachets to see how you get on.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Completely agree with you - its a rip off! However, if your horse will tolerate Pro-Dynam which is exactly the same except its not sugar coated you could save even more. Vet-Medic offer 100 sachets for £51.51 - a huge saving. If you think your horse won't like the taste then you could hide it in his feed or with something tasty. If you're not sure then you could ask your vet to supply a couple of sachets to see how you get on.

I thought Pro Dynam is bute , danilon a different drug .

Zuzzie

Visit site
I thought Pro Dynam is bute , danilon a different drug .

As far as I am aware Danilon has the same effect as Pro-Dynam. Bute contains phenylbutazone. Danilon contains suxibuzone, which is metabolised by the horse's liver into (mostly) phenylbutazone. In the end, an equivalent level of phenylbutazone is circulating in the bloodstream regardless of which product is used. This means that side effects on liver and kidney are identical between both products (no liver side effects, extremely uncommon kidney side effects).

sw4

Visit site
this makes my blood boil...i have just had an argument with my vet regarding this..they charge me 89.00 for a 60 box of Danilon whereas you can get it off the internet for under 50 if you search. I think it is absolutely disgraceful and do not know how they get away with it.

1Anastasia

Visit site
Not going to make anyone feel any better but I used to buy Danilon directly from a pharmaceutical supplier when I worked for an animal charity with a veterinary centre as we had an account with them. The cost to the vets was £19 for 60!

Goldenstar

Visit site
As far as I am aware Danilon has the same effect as Pro-Dynam. Bute contains phenylbutazone. Danilon contains suxibuzone, which is metabolised by the horse's liver into (mostly) phenylbutazone. In the end, an equivalent level of phenylbutazone is circulating in the bloodstream regardless of which product is used. This means that side effects on liver and kidney are identical between both products (no liver side effects, extremely uncommon kidney side effects).

That's right but the way it acts makes it much kinder to the stomach which it's much better than the old fashioned 'bute'.

sarahann1

Visit site

My vet told me exactly the same as this, I use Equipalazone, much cheaper than Danilon.

Britestar

Visit site
None of these online companies will come out to your horse at midnight on a Saturday - something to bare in mind. If you want to buy your meds cheap, then your call outs will become dearer!

dogatemysalad

Visit site

My vet said this too. Told me to save my money and buy Bute instead.

Triskar

Visit site
Go onto Facebook and look up the Turmeric User Group. Turmeric is a side effect free (apart from some thinning of the blood, so not recommended if you are on another blood thinning medication) anti-inflammatory and pain killer that has been shown to be as effective as Bute in some tests (dunno, but it has worked like a miracle drug on me - the arthritis in my hands isn't noticeable now and I can get my rings on and off, on my 25 year old arthritic Arab, who went cantering off downhill yesterday leaving me open mouthed - he's been walking slowly downhill for a couple of years now, my 11 year old arthritic Labrador, and my trainer - who came off her TB jumping and had cracked ribs and impressive bruising, and was living on painkillers - after taking turmeric, she's off all the painkillers). It's cheap, and it's effective. There are lots of case studies on the Group.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Wow - I rang them and explained my situation and said I simply cannot afford that. They said send box back and we'll send you a prescription. I said I'd keep this box because I'd ordered it and already paid for it but could they send me a repeat prescription out and they said yes and are taking the cost of prescription off what I've already paid so not a problem.

That's cheered me up no end!!

She did say that the online companies are bankrupting the vets and I pointed out if it was a one off, I'd pay full whack but not when my horse is on it longterm.

I feel bad for being cross about it now because a simple phone call has sorted it out.

Bankrupting vets ? I'd be suprised. someone my friend knows was prescribed medicine for their dog and it was astranomical, they found out it was the same as a human drug that was way cheaper so they complained and got money off

popsdosh

Visit site
This is slightly different but in defence of vets .I use a lot of meds mainly on the cattle side of the business and my vet always tell me when they cannot beat online prices and send a script straight to my online supplier.They often cannot buy from their wholesalers cheaper than online prices.
The other thing to bear in mind is and for those this does not apply to accept my apology ,a lot of Vets clients are not always the quickest payers in the world yet will readily pay up front with online pharmacies.

Sheep

Visit site
I just bought half a box direct from the vets - £30 for 30 sachets. I'll probably buy a full box on payday, so £60. Thing is, while I could get it online cheaper, I think the prescription fee from the vet is about £8 and most of the online ones seem to be £45-50, before postage and adding on the prescription, I'd probably rather drive 10 mins to the vets to get it!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I just bought half a box direct from the vets - £30 for 30 sachets. I'll probably buy a full box on payday, so £60. Thing is, while I could get it online cheaper, I think the prescription fee from the vet is about £8 and most of the online ones seem to be £45-50, before postage and adding on the prescription, I'd probably rather drive 10 mins to the vets to get it!

But if your horse is on repeat prescription you only pay that per script so mine is £15 for the script (rip off vets grrrrrr) for 6 months (even that they argued over despite him being on it for 2 yrs as prescribed by them!!!) so vet charge me £70 for the 60 sachets, where as I can get the same online for £45ish. Definitely worth it as I'm fed up of getting charged through the nose by vets