Cost of horse insurance

pottamus

Visit site
I have just had my renewal for my horse insurance and it has gone up again (as expected given market conditions) but by nearly £10 per month for the same cover. I will be paying £50 per month, which is the same amount as it costs us to insure both of our vehicles!!!
I stripped it right back last year to the bare bones of just public liability and vet fees - no loss of use anymore, no tack as kept in the house and covered under home policy, no extras at all. He is a 15 year old Welsh cob and I have claimed once in the 10 years I have had him - a claim for laminitis vet fees of £400 in total.
What does everyone else pay and for what?
Thanks

alsxx

Visit site
How much do you have him valued at? I value mine at the absolute minimum, as only insure for vets fees and third party. If you don't have loss of use and death of animal, there is no point having a higher value as it tends to push up premiums.

Wundahorse

Visit site
My insurance renewal for my three;13 year old WB;18 year old Welsh section D;and 6 year old sport horse is a staggering £2,032 a year.I know i claimed a lot for WB last year and probably maxed the vet fees for that problem.I have renegotiated with NFU by bringing down the value of WB to £500 and put the Welshie on a veteran plan which has saved me over £500.I left the sport horses insurance intact for obvious reasons.I decided that if anything happened to WB and Welshie i would not be replacing them so the money was immaterial.