Cost of keeping a horse

NZJenny

Visit site
By comparison in New Zealand: I have four horses, who live out 24/7. One is rideable, the other three are paddock ornaments, everything is in NZ$ so halve for sterling and this is the total for all four:

Grazing: 160.00 per month
Trimming: 216.00 per month (200.00 every four weeks)
Hard Feed: 150.00 per month
Minimum Vet (vacinations, teeth): 100.00 per month

So NZ$156.50 per month per horse standing in the paddock.

If we get really wet (or snow) and the grass isn't grazeable then I need hay during the winter. Last winter I used 4 big rounds at a cost of NZ$50 each. So far this year no rain, so far so good.

When I was competing full on endurance, I used to allow another $400 per month during the season (September to Easter) for travelling, special feeding, entry fees etc.

A monthly dressage lesson (instructor travels from another city) is NZ$75.00.

I have the upkeep of my towing vehical and float (trailer), as well as travel to and from the paddock every day. I have two cars (a run around and a 4WD) and find this much cheaper than running my big towing vehical around town.

Tack expenses and repairs are obviously extra along with any unexpected vet costs. I don't have horse insurance (uncommon here), and you could also add in say NZ$500 a year for registration, entry fees and subscriptions for what I do now.

Last edited:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've got a native pony on assisted DIY, we don't compete & I budget £250-£350 for bare minimums.

Assisted DIY livery: £180 per month on average (this is slightly dependant on time of year - winter I use more assistance, in the summer I use less)
Hay: £40
Bedding: £30
Feed & Supplement: £15 averaged out
Insurance: £35
Feet: £40 averaged out

I usually have a few lessons a month plus a few additional extras such as replacing equipment. But, if I'm having an expensive month - I won't have so many lessons or I won't buy that piece of non-essential equipment.

I'd say most months, he comes in around the £350-400 mark. To be fair, I am in a super, super expensive area!

Things like EDT, vets, chiropractor, physiotherapist - I pay as and when they come up. He went through a phase of needing 3-4weekly treatment post a silly injury/accident but thankfully is back on 4-6 monthly now as that was expensive :D