Cost of putting in foal

NicolaC

Visit site
We might be putting my cob mare in foal next depending on the out come of the vets on Tuesday. I know how much the semen is but what is the rough cost of everything else please so I have a better idea of how much it is going to cost me?

Herts05

Visit site
Probably best to ask your vet direct. Most repro vets have standard packages you can choose from.

DollyDolls

Visit site
It totally depends on where she stays, if you send her to stud that can make a huge impact, but it can also offer value for money if she takes first time.
Again the same can be said for foaling.

Rosieroo

Visit site
Hi, my mare is at the vets to be AI'd this week! The AI package is £258 (chilled semen, I believe it's more expensive if using frozen) this includes all scans upto and 4 after the insemination! It doesn't include livery which is £10 pd for grass livery! The stallion I've decided on is £550 plus collection @ £60!

Reindeer Rider

Visit site
I remember calculating the cost of my foal to be at least £2000 to get on the ground.
Ai'd at home and took first time. £500 for the cycle - £600 for the semen. Extras inc herpes vac for mare and flu and tet 4 weeks before foaling, needed a flush and an extra scan.

Beth889

Visit site
It cost me about £1000 including the stud fee. I sent my mare away to stud at £4 a day livery with a £400 stud fee and I had the choice of AI or natural, but AI cheaper. She was just coming out of season had to stay for a month and be scanned when she was in season a few times. Then had scans to see if in foal. Had some lovely vet bills! But totally worth it, I have a great foal lucky she was a filly!!

mynutmeg

Visit site
I reckon cost me somewere around £1500 or so including the stud fee of £500 and all her scans etc. This doesn't include her normal keep tho

cadefan

Visit site
Down here in Sussex, using top stud vet, around £400 per cycle for chilled, slightly more if frozen. So, if using a decent continental stallion, chilled stud fee is likely to be around £1000 including collection/papers/courier. If you are lucky and the mare takes first time, without supplementary drugs such as regu Mate, then that would be your baseline cost. However, it can spiral into horrendous amounts, eg I had 3 doses of Gribaldi one year at about 600 EURO per dose, 3 frozen cycles on a mare (who had taken first time with chilled for two years), plus the equitainer transport for the frozen from and back to netherlands (£100s). I gave up after 3rd cycle so no foal :-(
That reminds me, the Equitainer is a hidden cost!! My vet practice couriered it back to Zangersheide one year and it was over £300!!

JVB

Visit site
I've used German stallion so stud about £1k, it's taken 2 attempts with frozen so I'm expecting the bill to be around £1200 all in for AI work, scans, jabs, livery etc

missprimitive

Visit site
Wow I've just sat down and figured out what it cost me to get my yearling on the ground. Thank god my oh doesn't know me as my username!! Ill just list stuff Individually to help you
Pre inspection swabs etc £100
Fuel to stud/ transporter back £300
Livery at stud £1500 (ok she did end up staying there for 4 months for convenience)
Stud fee 7/800 can't remember
AI chilled package £280 (mare twinned worth every penny)
Foaling livery £500 ( 5 weeks in total worth every penny. I work long hours. It was my first foal. I didn't want the responsibility and its only 10 min down the road so was a no brainier for me. And there advise was just priceless)
Vacs/ baby checks etc £150
Car repairs £200 stud had an incredibly pot holed drive and I had a few
snapped coil springs as a result of owning in impractical sports car
With all feed and livery as per. Didn't differ massively as us always as part livery and is a pretty good doer so only replaced lo cal to stud balancer in last tri

I did this no expense spared (clearly). I bred to keep ( thank god ). I have a beautiful filly who is all I could have ever asked for so am so thankful to everyone who helped me throughout. And now said filly is currently in her eighth week if box rest after sustaining a fracture to her radius bone. Vets are incredibly optimistic but I guess ridden work will be a true test

What do they say only gamble what you can afford to lose

SpottyTB

Visit site
Problem is, the costs don't stop once you have the foal on the ground - or though more commonly they ease up but if your un lucky they won't.

MIL/FIL recon they've spent between 8-10k on breeding there foal.. This is because she went to stud, came home and was scanned not in foal. She then went back to stud around 9 months later and was found to be in foal. So they paid for her to stay at stud for 5 months (as foal was 3 months old when he came home). In this time the mare had the foal, panicked and ripped her head open and all her insides as foal came out to quickly.. She then proceeded to kick the foal over a 5 bar gate.. so the foal ended up with cuts/bruises.. then rejected the foal for 3 days - so we had to have the vet out 2 to 3 times a day (with a call out of like £50 + all the drugs and the work they were doing).. After 3 days things eased and then roughly 10 days later the mare nearly died - she got peritinitus (sp?). She was admitted into hospital for 2 weeks but that cost thousands, what with the drugs and 24/7 supervision - after a week she was able to be led out in the field with her drip (bless her).

So after all of that, got the mare/foal home and all was ok until the foal (well he was just over a year) got a lump on his lip and to have that removed and checked it wasn't cancerous cost near on £2k..

;) Obviously FIL/MIL were seriously unlucky however it CAN happen and you ought to be prepared for the "extra" costs just in case. Luckily mare/foal were insured but i believe fil/mil had to fork out near on £6k extra as insurance didn't cover all the bills!
I think now if they had to make the decision (knowing exactly what would happen) they would have spent £3k on buying a nice foal.. much easier, but i suppose they have piece of his mother in him (which in some peoples eyes is not such a good thing ;) )

:) good luck ether way!

stimpy

Visit site
I totted up my costs to perhaps show a different scenario:

Swabs + cert for covering £100
Stud fee £250 (no vet involved, no scans, mare ran at grass with a stallion for ten days)
Diesel to and from stud £100
Scan at 1 month £100
Scan at 8 months £100
Post foaling check and bloods £200
6 month vaccination and microchip for foal £100
Registration in stud book £70

So a little over 1000K to get her on the ground and registered

I am not including the extra feed that the mare had whilst she was feeding the foal (this was almost all in the form of extra hay) or wormers for the foal's first year.

I think that IF I were to sell her now (I bred to keep so no chance!) her market value as a yearling would be £1800-£2000. She's an unusual breed, and of a good breeding line, and so it turns out that it has cost me less to breed than to buy but in any case I didn't want "a" foal, I wanted my beloved mare's foal. I was extremely lucky that things went well, and I got what I wanted (a filly).

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
I think my foal probably cost over 3k by the time she was a month old.... Mum took fourth time and then had complications my foal was born due to infection. I think I had the vet out everyday for aw week!

Enfys

Visit site
If I breed to my own stallion then it costs me vet visits for scanning that's it.
Costs vary tremendously depending on so many things.

I have my Paso mare booked into a fabulous stallion next year. Problem is that he is in the US, so I have to ship her to Pennsylvania and back, pay the fees, pay board and associated costs ... tots up to about $3,000, and hope like hell I get a healthy foal this time. The return on a foal from this particular stallion though would be worth it, I already have a 5 figure offer on a filly if she should have one.

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
If I breed to my own stallion then it costs me vet visits for scanning that's it.
Costs vary tremendously depending on so many things.

I have my Paso mare booked into a fabulous stallion next year. Problem is that he is in the US, so I have to ship her to Pennsylvania and back, pay the fees, pay board and associated costs ... tots up to about $3,000, and hope like hell I get a healthy foal this time. The return on a foal from this particular stallion though would be worth it, I already have a 5 figure offer on a filly if she should have one.

Do Paso's have to be live cover? If not, won't the owner phantom train the stallion? Then you would just have to import the semen.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
How long is a piece of string in our case !
2010 saw us breed our vanner to an RID. Couple of scans and off I dashed down the M40 to meet Avanti Amorous Archie. Shortly before I arrived Archie was collected from and after a quick cuppa and a pat of the big boy, I raced back up the M40 with my 'foal' in my husbands sandwich box (please don't tell him) which had been carefully packed in a cool box full of ice. Vet waiting and deed done. Heartbeat at 21 days and beautiful filly born on May 11th 2011. With microchip/vacs I would say foal came in at £950. The mare did not need much hard fed due to her type and she lived out throughout her term.

The foal was a stunner and a decision was made to breed again, this time to a big old fashioned TB in the hope of getting a lighter riding horse/lightweight show hunter stamp. 4 lots of semen + courier costs and no joy, umpteen scans and pg. Time is ticking away and we gave up. Fast forward spring of 2012 and we try again - no joy. Decision made to send the mare to stud - 300 miles south, for natural service in late May, she came home in foal in the last week of August. A cracking foal arrived this June and we are thrilled with him.

Cost £2,250. Stud fee plus a lot of collection and courier costs, transporter costs, livery and vet care whilst at stud, which is a bit frustrating as the mare is owned by a vet. I think the fact the mare caught on first AI in 2010 without any help from us would suggest that the second stallion's semen did not travel well (he is also a fair age), hence the reason she failed to hold until natural service.

To add insult to injury, the costs did not stop there. The in foal mare then had to be sent into full livery to be cared for in the last few months of her term, foaled and remains away at the moment, even more cost ! This unfortunate situation is due to my unforeseen ill health preventing me from providing proper care for the mare and foal. Baby is not registered yet, but if I have my way he will be called (farm prefix) - Broke the Bank. Because he certainly has !

So OP, the answer to your question is .........could be less than anticipated or a considerable amount more !

Good luck with whatever you do and I hope you have a healthy and correct foal.