cost of scans & X rays...?

Lynds

Visit site
I'm considering whether to have my horse scanned and X rayed, just as a pre season check up as he is now 15. Any ideas on what this might cost?

ihatework

Visit site
Urm are you planning every bone/tendon ligament from nose to tail?!!!
Best to call your vets and ask for a quote on the areas you want done

be positive

Visit site
Apart from the obvious of where you scan, xray and at what point you decide to do more or stop, there will be potential implications with insurance, if you are insured, as it will go on his history and even if nothing is really found you may find exclusions in place at the next renewal.
The other issue would be if something minor shows and you have no clinical reason to think there is an issue with no old scans or xrays to compare how do you know if there is a problem or not and what do you do about it, you could end up giving him unnecessary treatment just in case.

I would be more inclined to have a basic check, trot up, trot on a circle flexions if the vet thinks there is a good reason, and only if there is a reason to do some blocks and scans in targeted areas, if he is sound get on and enjoy competing him.

Just to add your vet will probably be more than happy to do whatever you want, they are in business and a paying customer will usually be right.

Lynds

Visit site
For clarity - I am fairly confident in his nose and was thinking of a full set of vetting x-rays, which would usually include front feet, fetlocks and hocks and perhaps stifles.

Scans of same.

I realise I can (& will) call my vet, but I suspect he or she is otherwise engaged on a Saturday evening; hence asking for anyone who has had these either for pre season checks or perhaps a vetting.

Tia. 😆

Lynds

Visit site
Thanks, he's not insured for vet fees that's not an issue, but yes you make good point re could just trot up etc.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with him but was talking to a friend who has worked on event yards and we were discussing the pre season checks the like of Mary King gives her horses.

I was genuinely just interested in possible costs of checking. He's a miserable pony and always has been. (Had for 9 years) I've had him scoped for ulcers - all clear. Just wondering whether to check everything else ok and I'm realistic - he will likely have some arthritic changes etc but be good to now it's just normal wear and tear for age.

be positive

Visit site
If MK does it every year then she will have a base to compare and can use that to decide if there is any deterioration or new areas of concern, it may also be a requirement for high value horse insurance renewal to monitor any previously flagged concerns.

Costs will add up, x rays around £40 per plate, 2 or 3 for each foot and joint, scans as a guide we had tendons scanned for £180 3 years ago, so at a guess much the same for both hocks, stifles and fetlocks but if no clinical reason to scan xrays would probably show enough.