Cost Of Shoeing?

zoeadey

Visit site
Hi All, I was wondering how much people currently pay for their horses shoes? I have a pony who is trimmed - no shoes and costs £20 and a horse who is shod all round at a cost of £65.00. I also have to pay £10 for travel each time. Any thoughts?
smile.gif

Stoxx

Visit site
Mine was the same as yours (shoeing and trimming) until my horse decided he needed pads/ gel etc. Now he is £128!!!

BigRed

Visit site
I pay the £20 for a trim, so long as it is done when my Mare gets shod at £60. I can understand him charging you for travel when he only does a trim, but I wouldn't be happy to pay it after he has taken £65 off you.

Mithras

Visit site
£60 now I'm back near Edinburgh. I was paying £75 a set, £79 with stud holes in Aberdeen, for the worst examples of shoeing I have seen, for shoes to last 3 1/2 weeks before clinking. Now they are lasting 8 weeks without risen clenches - my horse has hard, slow growing hooves.

I wouldn't have minded paying £79 for a good job, but to pay that for a terrible job was ridiculous. I knew someone who used to box her horse from Aberdeen to Fife every 6 weeks just to get a decent farrier!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
£65 set
67.50 including 4 road studdy things (not nails anymore, they go in back of shoe.

extra 2.50 for 2 stud holes (one in each back)

never known anyone pay for travel though?

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
£20 trim, £70 full set. A bit more expensive that what i used to pay in wales but he's very good, esp with the nervous exmoor and if the big one throws a shoe (which is all the time at the mo) he comes out within a day or two and refits and if i cant find the shoe replaces it for free as long as he's not due to be shod again, other wise he charges a small amount.

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
£50 full set of shoes (inc a trim of course)
£25 just fronts
£15 trim.
Add £5 to each except the "just fronts" (add £2.50 to this) if not getting done with other 2 on the yard.
x

lannerch

Visit site
As much as I have to to get the best farrier in the area.

May save me a fortune in the long run in terms of future soundness.

zoeadey

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys. Looks like i'm paying about the right amount - though I may question the travel fees as I always have the pony trimmed at the same time as having a full set.
xx