Cost of Top Young Event Horse

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
I know that prices do vary but I’ve been wondering what sorts of prices younger horses can command once they’ve been placed at Badminton grassroots, for instance.

Any ideas people?

Fanatical

Visit site
10k plus probably if it is easy enough for an amateur to ride.

And the rest, if it's been placed at Badminton Grassroots.

You can expect to pay between 10-20K for a just backed 4 year old which has 'potential' for top level eventing.

So it's a bit, how long is a piece of string.

Any horse is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay.

SOS

Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the type of horse aimed at Badminton grassroots is normally not the type to go to 3/4*. The qualification requires competing at the same level for a while where as most young horses would perhaps be aimed at the classes made for them such as the KBIS Osberton young horse championships or BYEH, in which former winners have gone on to reach top level eventing. Not to say a grassroots horse won’t, I just seem to get the impression that those placing at Badminton grassroots are the top horses of their level (BE90/100) not of eventing as a whole?

As for prices, they vary vastly depending on how much experience the horse has and where it is coming from. I know people with 3* horses that they bought for peanuts as a younger horse but have spent a long time bringing it on, alternatively there are youngsters out there for 20k being trained professionally. A horse that is quiet enough for an amateur, young, and has the talent to event to a high level is hard to come by and worth its weight in gold! (The price normally reflects this!) Are you looking for yourself or just enquiring?

Either way it takes a bloomin special horse to get to 4*, just look at the trot ups. There’s all sorts of types and ages of horses there. Not that I would know personally but I think it must be heart that is the true making of a 4* horse.

Fanatical

Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the type of horse aimed at Badminton grassroots is normally not the type to go to 3/4*. The qualification requires competing at the same level for a while where as most young horses would perhaps be aimed at the classes made for them such as the KBIS Osberton young horse championships or BYEH, in which former winners have gone on to reach top level eventing. Not to say a grassroots horse won’t, I just seem to get the impression that those placing at Badminton grassroots are the top horses of their level (BE90/100) not of eventing as a whole?

I think a high percentage of the horses/ riders at Badminton Grassroots are at the top of their game, but there are those that also use it on the way up. I think sometimes the young horse classes can ask a lot of their age group - particularly if the rider is more of an amateur. Grassroots is perhaps therefore a better route. The winning combination of the BE100 Champs 3 years ago went on to win their first 2 Novice's and are now jumping clear at Advanced level. Some achievement.

SOS

Visit site
I think a high percentage of the horses/ riders at Badminton Grassroots are at the top of their game, but there are those that also use it on the way up. I think sometimes the young horse classes can ask a lot of their age group - particularly if the rider is more of an amateur. Grassroots is perhaps therefore a better route. The winning combination of the BE100 Champs 3 years ago went on to win their first 2 Novice's and are now jumping clear at Advanced level. Some achievement.

I can appreciate that and hats off to that combination. As the OP was asking about young horses that will reach the top, as in 4*, but then mentioned grassroots I got a little confused as in my mind they are worlds apart (not that I am belittling grassroots, I would love to compete at the championship!). I don’t know any people with young eventers aiming at grassroots, most are stepping up to novice quite quickly with 6 year olds. Again that’s just my personal experience :)

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
Apologies, I was thinking more of those with potential to go up the grades. So the The KBIS Osberton young horse championships or those placed in the BYEH would be more like it.

Not that I’m buying myself right now but just wondering what sort of prices they fetch. Obviously once horses have a record like that it must really add to their value.

Fanatical

Visit site
I can appreciate that and hats off to that combination. As the OP was asking about young horses that will reach the top, as in 4*, but then mentioned grassroots I got a little confused as in my mind they are worlds apart (not that I am belittling grassroots, I would love to compete at the championship!). I don’t know any people with young eventers aiming at grassroots, most are stepping up to novice quite quickly with 6 year olds. Again that’s just my personal experience :)

Yes, the OP's question can be looked at in different ways. A 'top young event horse' strikes me as a 4 or 5 year old doing well at BYEH and heading for the champs at Osberton (incl. 6 yr olds). There are very few horses of this age competing at Badminton Grassroots at this age - realistically 6 year olds would be the youngest given the qualifcation criteria.

Personally, I have 2 young event horses who I hope will event at the higher levels one day. However I am an amateur with limited time and ability (!) and therefore it will be a big ask to get either of them to any of the young horse classes. The horses definitely have all the potential for those classes but progression happens slower with me on top. Therefore my aim is to try and qualify for Badminton Grassroots on my way up the ladder.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Apologies, I was thinking more of those with potential to go up the grades. So the The KBIS Osberton young horse championships or those placed in the BYEH would be more like it.

Not that I’m buying myself right now but just wondering what sort of prices they fetch. Obviously once horses have a record like that it must really add to their value.

In that case closer to 20k plus :)

Lexi_

Visit site

Can't say I've seen many figures or ads for that sort of horse but using a recent example which was publicised, Emily King crowdfunded 40k to buy a 6 year old that had done 2 90s, 2 100s and one Novice. (the rights and wrongs of her approach not being commented on here, just using the figures!)

TheMule

Visit site
A really nice young horse that has started on its career and is showing all the attributes can be 40-150k in my experience

Goldenstar

Visit site
The best Young horses of the correct type with good breeding showing movement and talent jumping produced in the best yards can command 100k before they have even been to an event .

ihatework

Visit site

That market is different to the grassrootes market.
Grassrootes good horses are around 20k give or take.

The bracket you refer to can be off the scale. I spent 6 months looking for one with 25K and we either found that they were smart pro produced young horses that were not showing the true qualities for upper level, hence why pros were selling. Or they were showing talent but had significant ‘buts’, usually veterinary.

I was naive and very surprised, but if it was in a pro yard and showing ability then the prices started at around 40k. That is if it was for sale at all.

We bought a just backed 4yo in the end.

Utterly crazy really.

dominobrown

Visit site
Or buy an racehorse....
You might snigger, but a lot of top horses are ex racehorses.
Normally not the give away/ £500 horses but a young horse with good confo, temperment and retired sound with potential, nice mover etc, for around £2k mark. Higher risk though as not technically "bred" to do it, but I think you would work on the theroy of buying 10 for the price of 1 and hoping at least one would go all the way.

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
It’s just incredible what they make, some of them. But what about the horses that may not be in the very small pool of those clearly earmarked in those professional yards for the very top. Maybe one that would go three star but not necessarily on to four star. I’m sure they are also crazy expensive depending on the yard they come out of.