Cost to re-felt stable roof

Spottyappy

Visit site
I appreciate this maybe abit of a how long is a piece of string thread, but I have just had 2 quotes to re felt my stable block.
The block consists of 3 12’x12’ stables, a 14’x14’ corner box and a 6’x12’ feed store, in an L shape.
I was shocked with the lower quote being £3000, and the higher one £6000.
I appreciate materials have gone up, since Covid, But these quotes did not include replacing any of the wood or anything, and was to do one layer of felt.
Has anyone recently had any stables re felted? I feel I’m being taken for abit of a ride, as they saw “horses“ and the £ flashed before them. Or, am I just out of touch!

windand rain

Visit site
Was going to cost 500 quid to put in 25 posts not supply just knock in so nothing surprises me now. did it ourselves for £7 for an augre that fits on a drill and £4 for the generators fuel. I think felt is less than a tenner a roll so must be man power you are paying for not sure but think tyou can buy a stable for less and fit onduline roof sheets for less

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
We had a block similar to yours ( 3 12'X12' + 1 16x12' ) completely reroofed about 4 years ago . We bought all the materials and the joiner replaced the wooden roofing boards , replaced the skylights , Torch Felted the boards and fitted metal roof ridges on the top . It took him 4 days and he charged us £800 . He did an excellent job and we are extremely pleased with the result .
We phoned round local joiners rather than building firms . The guy who did it had never done a stable block before but has done plenty of extensions , garages , sheds etc and , like he said , a roof's a roof !

Vodkagirly

Visit site
That's high! I got quoted £800 for a 20 x 12 shed, I thought that was high. Did it ourselves 2 rolls of felt at £40 for the heavy duty stuff and about a fiver for a pack of nails. Did it in a day.
Had booked a joiner to do some repairs to an ordline roof, but he kept not showing up so ended up doing it ourselves . I think trades are only doing the most profitable work at the moment, some quotes I've had are ridiculous.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think if I were you I'd nip down to B&Q for the materials and do the job myself.

Same, I re-felted the shed roof at one of the rentals. Ok, a stable is more of a problem re needing a ladder and planks to go across, but honestly, I bought the very bloody heavy roll of felt and used the roofing tacks I found at home, pretty easy.

We keep saying we need to get someone in to clear rubbish/hire a skip, then did 2 tip trips today and decided we could manage on our own.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I wonder if the higher estimate takes into account replacing any wood that might be found to have rotted under the felt. But as others pointed out, both estimates seem high. Replacing roofing felt isn't rocket surgery, and it isn't physically hard work, either, when you have the right tools. To judge the full cost of doing it yourself, you'll need to know if you would be charged by your local authority for taking it to the dump.

I built an open fronted shelter of about 4m long and 1.5m wide for storing firewood at our house down in SW France... this was several years before moving to the US, which was in 2005, so at a guess it was something like 20 years ago. The roof is about 12mm thick pine boards that I painted with Xylophene before laying roofing felt on top. The shelter is still in good enough condition, and it wasn't such a difficult job for me, alone. That is the first and only roof I've done, so far.

I remember that I was putting off boarding and felting the roof because it had been drizzling on and off for about four days; we had one dry day and then were due to come home two days later, so I had no alternative but to do it on the day after the dry day... when it rained solidly from dawn to dusk.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Scruffy, sadly our planning is for green felt roof, so I dare not change it, especially as we have applied for a house on the land, so are likely to be having planning officers visit!
While daughter and I are fairly proficient at much diy, a big area like this, is beyond our remit. We have spent today re doing the barn gutters as they weren’t flowing, but I don’t think either of us fancies tackling felt roofing, especially as it needs to be torched on!

Winters100

Visit site
I recently paid GBP 1250 for re-felting a flat roof to an extension to a house, plus 1400 for replacement of the wooden structure. It is to a property in the UK which I have not visited for a number of years, but from memory the extension is about 4m x 2m.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I recently paid GBP 1250 for re-felting a flat roof to an extension to a house, plus 1400 for replacement of the wooden structure. It is to a property in the UK which I have not visited for a number of years, but from memory the extension is about 4m x 2m.
Blimey, that is A scary Amount, Winters!

Winters100

Visit site
Blimey, that is A scary Amount, Winters!

Yes, I thought it was high, but of course I need a proper invoice with VAT, so no chance to get someone local to do it on their day off. Plus they have to go there etc, so on a psm basis it has to be a lot loss for a larger area.