Costs of buying in ireland?

Abacus

Visit site
Ok, I know it will vary massively depending on the horse. I am semi-looking for a young horse, probably either unbacked or recently backed. I'd like from 15.3 to 16.3, sensible sort, fine to middleweight but not cobby or chunky, and probably Irish as they tend to have a temperament I like, although my choice is very much more about that than the breed in particular. I don't mind if they are aged 3 to 5 and happy to take them slowly / give them a year in the field if that's what they need. I want the horse to event (to about BE100, maybe novice if I get brave) and hunt, and be a nice all-round sort.

If I go over to Ireland to look, does anyone have recent experience of the kind of price ranges I might be looking at, as well as some clue of transport costs? I have spoken to a couple of dealers and heard what I thought were high prices so it would be great if anyone has done this themselves. Thanks.

ihatework

Visit site
Transport - 250-450 on a shared load, personally I wouldn’t try and save money here.

Vettings I have found pretty comparable to the UK for the good Vets, maybe a fraction cheaper.

Horse costs - well it’s a variety, just like in the UK, and dependant on age, how produced, quality, breeding.

One thing I would say is the Irish aren’t daft. They know a good horse when they have one and with plenty of UK/US buyers they will hold out for a good price on a good horse. They could also sell snow to Eskimos and will do their utmost to convince you a mediocre horse is going to Badminton :D

So for what you want, a nice allrounder, sane & sound and well put together with potential for affiliated ribbons I’d estimate 2.5-4K for an unbacked 3yo, 3.5-6K for a backed but green 4yo, 5-10K for a 5yo partly produced.

Those are GBP equivalent, you will be quoted in Euro

ETA - have a look on done deal. That should give you an idea of what is about privately on the cheaper end.
Also worth a look on Irish Horse Imports to see what they bring over - those horses are bulk bought at the sales, usually as green as grass and on a low profit quick turnover basis. Having run my eyes over their stock a couple of times it is a case of sorting wheat from chaff - their better ones are always 5K + these days

Last edited:

Gatsby1994

Visit site
About October time I managed to get a really sweet natured IDXConne for 3.5k, 6 year old but only hacked at 4 and properly started at 5, so I managed to get a pretty decent bargain considering his build (he has plenty of bone to him), scope and temperament. But he has no registered breeding, but that doesn't bother me.
I spent about £350 on my transport and he was a brilliant fellow.
I factored in my travel costs when going to see a few over in Ireland, so I guess you could say I spent just over 4k in total when horse shopping. The person I purchased him from was great and made the process really easy too.

buddylove

Visit site
Here we are - very recent experience....
5 yr old green ID mare bought untried 5k euros;5 stage vetting 150 euros; transport (using George Mullins) 350 euros.

googol

Visit site
Another perspective...My friend just sold a 16.1 15yo gelding, who has been out of work and has vices, for £1500. He’s a decent all rounder and I’m delighted for her that she got that amount (plus hopefully a decent home for him!) but I think it’s crazy! Horses are really worth what someone is willing to pay!

only_me

Visit site
So you are really looking a 3-5 year old Event/hunt type, nice tempered and sensible sort, with the potential to go novice. Ie. A junior event horse!

As a 3 year old, you’d probably spend around 3-4K here in Ireland.

A 4 year old probably similar prices, 3-6k at least unless is an ideal type for young event classes where it becomes £££££.

A 5 year old probably 5k upwards, as it’s the type everyone wants lol. If it’s out at Young event horse classes think megabucks lol.

Billy was 4 when I bought him, he was 6k. Best Buy I’ve ever had! He’s everything you’ve said except bigger (but doesn’t ride bigger!) but as easy as a small horse. And I bought local!
If horse is easy enough for a junior rider to event then money also goes up ££££.

6ou b

be positive

Visit site
Another perspective...My friend just sold a 16.1 15yo gelding, who has been out of work and has vices, for £1500. He’s a decent all rounder and I’m delighted for her that she got that amount (plus hopefully a decent home for him!) but I think it’s crazy! Horses are really worth what someone is willing to pay!

If he was out of work through no fault of his own that should not be held against him, "has vices" could be minor in the scheme of things if he is a decent allrounder that will suit someone to learn on and have fun for the next 5 years or so, at £300 per year the purchase price is a bargain and fairly irrelevant in the overall cost of having a horse, I think £1500 could be money well spent if the horse is relatively sound.

I wish more people did place a higher value on horses in their teens as they are often a better buy than a younger, 8-10 year old, horse that has done nothing to prove their soundness and frequently breaks down once they are asked to do some proper work.

stormox

Visit site
The Irish Field newspaper has the main sales prices in but you have to add about 10% onto price shown for buyers premium etc.
Goresbridge sales are on next week. Good choice of horses, all vetted and certs available to be seen and plenty of transporters there going straight over to UK after the sales.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Transport from Ireland to West Country last month cost £300. Five stage vetting with lots of radiographs by Troytown cost €550 (€330 of that was for radiographs). Quality RID gelding rising five cost £6500.

googol

Visit site
If he was out of work through no fault of his own that should not be held against him, "has vices" could be minor in the scheme of things if he is a decent allrounder that will suit someone to learn on and have fun for the next 5 years or so, at £300 per year the purchase price is a bargain and fairly irrelevant in the overall cost of having a horse, I think £1500 could be money well spent if the horse is relatively sound.

I wish more people did place a higher value on horses in their teens as they are often a better buy than a younger, 8-10 year old, horse that has done nothing to prove their soundness and frequently breaks down once they are asked to do some proper work.

Yea, all a matter of opinion though isn’t it really!

eahotson

Visit site

Agree.

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks for all these replies; there seems to be a consensus on the amount plus transport which is roughly what I thought. Agree about Irish imports, I got my last one from them and he is fantastic and cost £3500, theirs seem to be more expensive recently from what I see on Facebook. I’m not sure it’s much cheaper to buy in Ireland though but perhaps there’s more choice. Hmmm... one to think about! Thank you

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks for all these replies; there seems to be a consensus on the amount plus transport which is roughly what I thought. Agree about Irish imports, I got my last one from them and he is fantastic and cost £3500, theirs seem to be more expensive recently from what I see on Facebook. I’m not sure it’s much cheaper to buy in Ireland though but perhaps there’s more choice. Hmmm... one to think about! Thank you

stormox

Visit site

At the moment the currency exchange rate makes horses more expensive to buy in Ireland (when euro price is converted to sterling) than it was a few years ago. So importers, like Irish Horse Imports, have to charge more now.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I looked into going over to Ireland as I knew I wanted an ISH. But in the end I decided the hassle of returning an unsuitable horse was too great. Lucky really as I ended up buying a horse not fit for purpose (conformationally unsound - my vet said was not and never had been fit for purpose as an event horse) and ended up loading horse and taking it back to dealer myself to just resolve things quickly. I am very glad the dealer was not overseas in that situation.

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
I looked into going over to Ireland as I knew I wanted an ISH. But in the end I decided the hassle of returning an unsuitable horse was too great. Lucky really as I ended up buying a horse not fit for purpose (conformationally unsound - my vet said was not and never had been fit for purpose as an event horse) and ended up loading horse and taking it back to dealer myself to just resolve things quickly. I am very glad the dealer was not overseas in that situation.

Did you have the horse vetted prior to purchase? Normally the vet will check if the horse is fit for the purpose you’re buying him for, in this case eventing.

bollybop

Visit site
I’ve seen horses come out of goresbridge with a vet very showing “problems” that wouldnt have passed the vetting in uk

oldie48

Visit site

Unless your friend's horse has serious vices, I think he sounds an absolute bargain. Good all rounders will always find a decent home and command a decent price. That is exactly as it should be. I sold a lovely gelding who was older and quite a lot more expensive, three years on his new owner feels she bought her horse of a lifetime.

stormox

Visit site
I’ve seen horses come out of goresbridge with a vet very showing “problems” that wouldnt have passed the vetting in uk

The goresbridge vets are pretty thorough as they would get kicked of the vetting panel if there were complaints, and the sales panel vets (one for each area) get a lot of work vetting for the sales.
But they just state things they find. They do not 'pass' or 'fail', its up to the potential buyers to look at the certs in the office before the horse goes into the ring and decide whether the mentioned faults are ones they would buy the horse with, or not.
There are also vets available on the day and you can get a second vetting and have bloods taken if you wish.