Cotton Rope Girth

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Horse is very difficult when it comes to girths. He is very particular in what he likes, and I haven't found The Girth yet. Tried among others the Edix Crescent, Passier Blu Wave, Eric le Tixerant, and the Prolite. Then I borowed a very simple straight neoprene one, and it wasn't too bad. But I don't like neopreen because it's plasticy. Stupid maybe, but I prefer natural materials. The horse cannot stand hard edges which is why the Prolite didn't work. O, and he wants the girth to move a bit with his movements, if that makes sense.

The Eric le Tixerant was liked by both of us until a certain horse decided to embark on some shenanigans causing the saddle and rider to slip to the side. I ended up on the floor while said horse was running around the arena in full panic because there was a saddle hanging off his side. All ended well, but I don't want to use this girth anymore. I'd have to tighten it too much to be sure the saddle won't slip, and that's something I don't want to do. I don't want to choke him. The saddle fits perfectly by the way, it's just that this girth is fully elastic, a bit too elastic as it turns out.

I'm a bit girth-tired now, and suddenly remembered that as a kid, we all used to ride with rope girths without issue. It never crossed my mind that they were still around, but lo and behold, they are! So I researched a bit, found a lot of western girths and very little English ones, asked around on a Dutch forum, then found myself a cotton one, and jumped and bought this:

TLDR: My question is: who else rides with a rope girth, and do you like it?

Parrotperson

Visit site
Yeh you’re right! Everyone had one 40 years ago and I can’t remember ever having a problem with one. Go for it. As kaylum says look on eBay. That way if it doesn’t work you won’t have didn’t a fortune on a new one. Good luck.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I have a spare 46inch black rope one
I need 28 inch (70 cms).

Found an older topic, think a rope girth may be a good choice indeed.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I need 28 inch (70 cms).

Found an older topic, think a rope girth may be a good choice indeed.

Thats a shame, its a stubben as well

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think Stubben stopped doing dressage length for a while but they do make them again. I have had no issue with them being nylon, they're very soft, breathable and the low profile stops an awful lot of rubbing when it's down to the elbow being very close to the ribcage (though often as not that's posture that needs fixing).

mariew

Visit site
Love a string girth! And I wouldn't worry about them being nylon either. They are really soft. Plus nylon should last longer than cotton. They are my go to and will only get something else if they do not work.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Good to know, MuddyMonster. Whichever girth I buy, it will be a gamble anyways. As it was with the parade of previous girths.

If it helps he goes really well in the Shires anatomical chafeless girth.

He's was tricky to find the right girth & didn't like some of the one's you've tried.

It turns a £30 odd quid girth solved our issues 🤣

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horse is very difficult when it comes to girths. He is very particular in what he likes, and I haven't found The Girth yet. Tried among others the Edix Crescent, Passier Blu Wave, Eric le Tixerant, and the Prolite. Then I borowed a very simple straight neoprene one, and it wasn't too bad. But I don't like neoprene because it's plasticy. Stupid maybe, but I prefer natural materials. The horse cannot stand hard edges which is why the Prolite didn't work. O, and he wants the girth to move a bit with his movements, if that makes sense.

The Eric le Tixerant was liked by both of us until a certain horse decided to embark on some shenanigans causing the saddle and rider to slip to the side. I ended up on the floor while said horse was running around the arena in full panic because there was a saddle hanging off his side. All ended well, but I don't want to use this girth anymore. I'd have to tighten it too much to be sure the saddle won't slip, and that's something I don't want to do. I don't want to choke him. The saddle fits perfectly by the way, it's just that this girth is fully elastic, a bit too elastic as it turns out.

I'm a bit girth-tired now, and suddenly remembered that as a kid, we all used to ride with rope girths without issue. It never crossed my mind that they were still around, but lo and behold, they are! So I researched a bit, found a lot of western girths and very little English ones, asked around on a Dutch forum, then found myself a cotton one, and jumped and bought this:

TLDR: My question is: who else rides with a rope girth, and do you like it?
I had the neoprene ones and had the humane girths, the neoprene ones I found my mare sweats too much. I have gone back to my favourite old time girth, never bought one till last year after all these years I bought one and so happy with it. It is a balding girth dont like all the other ones the new type all this anatomical ones etc. would not waste my money - this is my fav, not everyone's cup of teat but suits my mare.

1687371310626.png

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Had never heard of a balding girth, so looked it op. Interesting! Don't think that it will work for my horse though, but you never know.

MuddyMonster, I guess it's a blessing we can choose from so many forms, designs, materials, and fluffy covers, but to be honest it drives me insane. It's a rain forest of girths out there.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
They don't work on horses with short, deep, "pouchy" girth grooves where there isnt the width to allow it to lie flat.

I think he has a forward girth groove but other than that I'm a bit clueless! Is there a diagram of the different types of girth grooves just out of curiosity? Would be interesting to know more 🙂

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think he has a forward girth groove but other than that I'm a bit clueless! Is there a diagram of the different types of girth grooves just out of curiosity? Would be interesting to know more 🙂

The more forwards, and the bigger the belly (and often, forgive me, the more poor the posture) the more likely the GG is to be pouchy. Seen from the side the belly will be lower than the groove, and it's cupped in shape, getting closer and closer to the elbows. The other extreme is a horse with no girth groove, just a long taper up from the elbows to the flanks, huge long flat spot.

Can it be challenging to get the girth to lie flat? It's the folding over that causes the issue ime.

millikins

Visit site
We bought a Townfields own brand version of the Stuben girth, £24, for a very round barreled Dales mare. Bought as a trial, was going to get the Stuben if a success but she likes it and the quality is fine.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
The more forwards, and the bigger the belly (and often, forgive me, the more poor the posture) the more likely the GG is to be pouchy. Seen from the side the belly will be lower than the groove, and it's cupped in shape, getting closer and closer to the elbows. The other extreme is a horse with no girth groove, just a long taper up from the elbows to the flanks, huge long flat spot.

Can it be challenging to get the girth to lie flat? It's the folding over that causes the issue ime.

Can I be cheeky and PM you a picture of my boy? I'm not sure I'm picturing it correctly but I had such issues finding a girth, I'd like to be more informed!

I won't be at all offended if you don't want to work in your downtime though :)

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Glad to hear there are more people riding with a string girth!

We do have a slightly forward girth groove, but I'll try it anyway.

neddy man

Visit site
I've had a Stubben string girth for my sensitive mare for years and love it, hand wash in a bowl of warm soapy water, thoroughly rince and dry laid flat on something, if you hang it on a clothes line the weight of water in it will stretch it an inch (2:5cm) or more, will return to correct size when re washed and layed flat to dry.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Thanks for the tip, neddy man. I'm a lousy housewife, so would've hung it on the clothes line without thinking. Flat drying makes sense!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I was a Pony Club kid in the 1970's and can well remember the nylon girths we used to have back then. Who wouldn't remember 'em. I had a bright royal blue one; still have it in my tackroom (somewhere). It has to be an antique.

Awful things; they used to get all bunched up and must've been intensely uncomfortable to our poor long-suffering horses. I remember too how there was always one end of them which would start coming undone, and then you'd have to mend it!

We all thought the darn things had died a death hadn't we; now lo & behold they've been resurrected again.

Can't say I'm ever gonna be a fan of these.