Cotton summer sheets/fly rugs

Fransurrey

Visit site
I need to buy the chunky monkey a fly rug (and it's his birthday today - he's 6).

I hate plasticky polyester fly rugs, although I have them for my Exmoor, as all sweet itch rugs seem to be poly in her size. I'm also trying to reduce plastic anywhere I can.

I keep looking at the Mark Todd and Weatherbeeta summer sheets, which are cotton blends. Are these any good and are they durable? He's not a rug wrecker or excessive roller, but does live out, so it needs to stand up to some wear and tear. It'll only be used for horse fly season, as he doesn't really need one otherwise.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m the same as you and would prefer a cotton sheet where possible.
The MTs and W’s, I’ve had both and they are pretty much identical.
They both had a tendency to slip a bit but otherwise were nice enough.
The netting sections were not tough and prone to ripping.

I’ve moved to amigo Aussie as my main go to with a premier equine super light in really hot weather (Aussie isn’t the most breathable)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I’m the same as you and would prefer a cotton sheet where possible.
The MTs and W’s, I’ve had both and they are pretty much identical.
They both had a tendency to slip a bit but otherwise were nice enough.
The netting sections were not tough and prone to ripping.

I’ve moved to amigo Aussie as my main go to with a premier equine super light in really hot weather (Aussie isn’t the most breathable)
Oh meant to say I'd seen the Amigo Aussie, too! That's my only concern - really hot weather, as he's a hot boy in general (just had to give him an Irish clip, as he was so hot on gentle hacks!).

ETA: remembered why I didn't look further at the Amigo - it's polyester!

Pippity

Visit site
A horse on my old yard trashed his brand new Mark Todd within three hours of being turned out in it, so I wouldn't say those are especially durable!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
If you are looking for durability cotton alone will not last as long as polyester or a blend when used outdoors. I made some fly hoods / necks from heavy cotton curtaining and they worked well. Through the summer however they became thinner and prone to ripping. The constant wetting and drying plus the friction of movement and rolling will wear cotton out. It is a natural fibre and will eventually just rot away.
Good luck with your search.

Unicorn

Visit site
I'm in the same boat - the polyester ones make my lad very static and seem to make him itchier, so I've been considering the Mark Todd ones. Ruggles do a cotton sheet with a neck too. I've also been looking at these: https://www.herbb.co.uk/products/herbb-body-hugger-fly-rug
Don't know if anyone has any experience of them? They're not cheap, but I'm thinking of giving one a try

Fransurrey

Visit site
If you are looking for durability cotton alone will not last as long as polyester or a blend when used outdoors. I made some fly hoods / necks from heavy cotton curtaining and they worked well. Through the summer however they became thinner and prone to ripping. The constant wetting and drying plus the friction of movement and rolling will wear cotton out. It is a natural fibre and will eventually just rot away.
Good luck with your search.
Yep, I appreciate they won't be as durable as polyester - I meant more in build quality and stitching, as some rugs I've bought in the past have fallen apart just from the horse rolling. He doesn't seem especially bothered by flies at the moment (the others are!), so it really will be just horse fly season, so 3 months or so of on/off use.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm in the same boat - the polyester ones make my lad very static and seem to make him itchier, so I've been considering the Mark Todd ones. Ruggles do a cotton sheet with a neck too. I've also been looking at these: https://www.herbb.co.uk/products/herbb-body-hugger-fly-rug
Don't know if anyone has any experience of them? They're not cheap, but I'm thinking of giving one a try
Don’t dark colours absorb heat and attract flies more?
Personally I don’t like it! It’s not cheap but it looks it, it’s not a nice fit or cut.

Unicorn

Visit site
Don’t dark colours absorb heat and attract flies more?
Personally I don’t like it! It’s not cheap but it looks it, it’s not a nice fit or cut.

Yep, that's part of the reason I've not ordered one yet - but it was the only one I could find that was cotton. I hadn't thought about dark colours attracting more flies, but I think you're right, they do.
The one in the picture doesn't look like it would fit my lad either - he's got a big neck and broad chest, but they apparently can make to measurements if needed. I just can't help feeling it could be a rather expensive mistake.

Andrew657

Visit site
Although they're blue (not light colour) Derby House do a cotton sheet. I have (combo) one and found it reasonable quality for the cheap price. Sizes in stock at the moment seem limited

SillySausage

Visit site
I've got one in an Aussie All Rounder and love it. Have used every type of fly rug, sweet itch sheet etc in the past and horse seems happiest in this. However, there are a few 'nicks' in it where it's got caught/been bitten but I think that's part and parcel of the job.

I've just bought a Kool Coat from Sports Direct for £31 and so far so good, particularly for current horse with big muscled shoulders who rubs in most rugs... I'm tempted to buy a couple more whilst they're that cheap!!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/weatherbeeta-kool-coat-lite-combo-767573

Dynamo

Visit site
Kook-coat are fab. Mine is in its 10th year of Welsh cob turnout!

Also, when you are at events have a look round the tack stalls for cheap cotton sheets; some are more durable than others, but you can often find them as cheap as £10, and if they only last one season it's ok at that price. I won't use anything other than thin cotton sheets for summer turnout.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Dynamo, I'm trying to hold out for the first Hickstead in June, as that's the first big show that I can actually go to (unless I make a sudden trip to Badders on Saturday!!). We'll have to see how much he gets bugged. I may decide not to bother if he doesn't, but midges were pretty horrific, yesterday eve!

Cowpony

Visit site
I had a cotton summer sheet once (actually it's probably still in the bottom of my box somewhere), and it got horribly stained. No amount of scrubbing could get it clean. At one point the YO saw it on my horse and ordered one of the staff to remove it immediately! A polyester blend is far more practical.

Lucky788

Visit site
Another vote for the Aussie, I get static off most rugs but this is fab and I don’t find mine is to warm under it even on hot days :)

claret09

Visit site
bought an aussie last year for my boy. he also has a Rambo fly rug. I think the aussie is cooler in the heat and definitely protects him more from the midges (he also has sweetitch). I have been really pleased with it. I bought it on a wim when countrywide were closing down so got it as a really great price

EnduroRider

Visit site
I have an old-ish Lansdown that is fab - soft cotton lining and a nylon outer, big fluffy wither pad and fantastically shaped/darted on the neck and quarters. Unfortunately looking at their website it doesn't look like they presently make this as standard.