Cough and Hay problem

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hi. Last weekend we put 3 big bales of hay in our fields for the horses that our out 24/7, including mine. Since then he has been coughing a lot and in the past 2 days has been coughing up horrid yellow gunk. I've now been told that he does cough a lot whren fed hay. Soaked hay has been tried in the past and hasn't worked. Now he's going to go in a stable in the next few weeks (hopefully next week) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to feed him. We are thinking of going to haylege, do people agree with this or do you think it will have the same affect on him. Sorry about the long post!
xxxx

dwi

Visit site
Yellow gunk doesn't sound good to me. My mare often coughs once when we start work but thats it. I would be calling the vet out, at the least ringing and having a chat to see if it would worry them

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
We have a pony in for sale at mo, hs used to living out and hes now in. Give your scoaked hay but put him on hsvaings too as otherwise theres no point in soakin hay as he will gt dust in his lungs frm straw. If this doesnt help, call vet

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My firend can't feed hay to her horse and also has to be carefull if she feed the haylage that comes in the big round bales from the farmers as they are not always that great, she now feeds marksway horsehage and sometimes uses a hay replacer or readygrass when he is in. Hope this helps a bit.

beaconhorse

Visit site
You do need to get the vet. If you don't it is possible that it what ever the cause it will turn into chronic RAO. RAO can be caused by not getting the correct treatment soon enough. Also as he' is obviously sensitve to the dust in the hay or mold spores I would just feed haylage in future and get a good quality dust free bedding, such as easibed