Cough medicine ?

Mari

Visit site
My 21 yr old Cushings gelding has a dry cough & at times coughs out some whitish phlegm. He has hay soaked or steamed & a mash feed. Are there any cough supplements / mixtures that would help him?

PurBee

Visit site
Mine tend to stuff their noses into their bedding when deep asleep, breathe in tiny dust particles, and have a cough when getting up off their bed...and the occasional sporadic cough in the day due to this as, like you, everything else they consume is completely dust/mould spore free. I’ve seen the first inch of their nostrils lined with small bits of bedding, when they first get up. Mine love a good deep snooze.
So maybe consider bedding as a causative factor?

Aside from chopped paper and cardboard, both of which i cant get where i am, and paper has been touted as a complete pain and blowing all over the yard, all other bedding is dusty. Miscanthus, rape, hemp -theyre all fibrous and some stock has mould spores.....same with straw, so prone to mould spores.
Straw and wood pellets break down to dust and they would easily inhale the tiny dusty bits.

The above bedding are good underneath a top layer thats relatively dust free as theyre so absorbent of pee.

I now use large flake kiln dried shavings, dust extracted, yet still there’s dust as i see it in the air When im flicking open a bale. Coughing is now very minimal compared to other bedding.
I found mould spores and literal dust to be more highly cough-inducing than small size bedding bits.
My remaining option would be proprionic acid and other chemicals treated straw in a 20kg bag. But aside from the shocking 21 euro cost they’d eat it and i wouldn’t want them to consume the anti-mould treatment agents.

Bedding woes, dust and coughs are common equine bedfellows. I’d go with cardboard if i could!