Coughing dog, high temp???

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Friend's dog is under vet care but been sent home as practice doesn't staff small animals over the weekend. Dog is small terrier x age 10. Had slight cough earlier in the year but it has returned. Vet has administered fluids IV and AB's and fever-reducing meds earlier in the week, and he's on paracetamol under instruction in the meantime. She's been cautioned to rush dog to the emergency vets if he deteriorates. Dog off food but only been froth-sick once and looks very sorry for himself. Known for dramatics but he is not right at all. Vets haven't come up with any diagnosis, well, not one they want to put a name to anyway. Any ideas in here?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Been to check him and his temp is well within the normal range and I was greeted with a tail wag and he joined the welcoming committee - no blood but a 'grass seed in the throat' type of coughing followed by the yacking and swallowing of what he coughed up.

He seemed bright enough and is back at the usual vet tomorrow.

I've no suggestions except to take to the OOH vets asap.

It's a poor show when a dog is sent home because the surgery isn't staffed, time to look for a new practice I think.

Aye, they had done everything to the minute the small animal division closed for the rest of the weekend and sent him home with his meds and the instructions to take him to the emergency OOH vets if he deteriorated :oops::( The equine arm provides full 24/7/365 cover.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sounds like kennel cough and / or heart, but vet would've found either of those.

The hospital bit is one of the reasons I chose our small animal vet.

I hope it's a passing thing and he's well soon.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Please take this dog to another vet practice for a second opinion.

Not wanting to frighten you but my little man (11yrs) had a cough; it was the kind of unproductive cough which then ended in this huge "retch" thing.

I've recently re-registered with what was my old vet practice years ago; they are the best around (used to do equine but not any more unfortunately).

He was diagnosed via ultrasound yesterday with a tumour on the spleen. This can cause the type of coughing I've described as the tumour presses on the lungs. Even if the tumour is "benign" (and this isn't known until the animal is operated on) it can suddenly rupture and then it will suddenly become a veterinary emergency.

I've elected NOT to have my little man operated on; he was mum's dog until she passed away 4 years ago and I know what her wishes would have been. The vet advised that to nothing is not an option; after about 7 - 10 days the tumour could burst. Little man is being PTS at home end of next week.

Like I say, sorry if this disturbs you, but I would deffo get another opinion. The ultrasound was well worth having as it gave a definite diagnosis.

(Edited: PLEASE no well-meaning "opinions" on whether to operate or not; or testimonies of where an operation to remove spleen has been successful - this is an older dog and whilst yes it can be a successful op the dog has still got to actually go through what amounts to major surgery, and not all are successful at the end of the day - and in any case I couldn't bear a situation where I would send him onto the operating table not knowing whether what's inside him is malignant or not, and IF malignant I would basically be saying goodbye to him at the vet's door - just couldn't deal with that, and would prefer Little Man to pass peacefully at home, that is kinder IMO).

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site

Not wanting to frighten you but my little man (11yrs) had a cough; it was the kind of unproductive cough which then ended in this huge "retch" thing.

I've recently re-registered with what was my old vet practice years ago; they are the best around (used to do equine but not any more unfortunately).

He was diagnosed via ultrasound yesterday with a tumour on the spleen. This can cause the type of coughing I've described as the tumour presses on the lungs. Even if the tumour is "benign" (and this isn't known until the animal is operated on) it can suddenly rupture and then it will suddenly become a veterinary emergency.

I've elected NOT to have my little man operated on; he was mum's dog until she passed away 4 years ago and I know what her wishes would have been. The vet advised that to nothing is not an option; after about 7 - 10 days the tumour could burst. Little man is being PTS at home end of next week.

Like I say, sorry if this disturbs you, but I would deffo get another opinion. The ultrasound was well worth having as it gave a definite diagnosis.

(Edited: PLEASE no well-meaning "opinions" on whether to operate or not; or testimonies of where an operation to remove spleen has been successful - this is an older dog and whilst yes it can be a successful op the dog has still got to actually go through what amounts to major surgery, and not all are successful at the end of the day - and in any case I couldn't bear a situation where I would send him onto the operating table not knowing whether what's inside him is malignant or not, and IF malignant I would basically be saying goodbye to him at the vet's door - just couldn't deal with that, and would prefer Little Man to pass peacefully at home, that is kinder IMO).
Oh gosh, really? I'm going to call again this morning, see how he is. I'm sure that if he continues to cough, that's what she'll do and I'm really sorry about your little chap. You are absolutely doing the right thing and have done so already, quite clearly. Fortunately she is a sensible person too and if the cough doesn't clear up, she'll be back to the vet, pronto. He was coughing earlier this year and was x-rayed or scanned clear. We've discussed the possibility of a tumour so she's aware of that and heart failure, which has also been assessed.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Just wondering how your dog is Brighteyes
Not mine - asking for a friend. Pretty much back to normal but daughter's dog (doggy day-care at mum's) is coughing now! Thanks for asking. We think kennel cough plus age exacerbated the symptoms but he'll be straight back to the vets if he slides back. They are not 'home remedy types' at all. Theirs get taken straight to the vet.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've seen on my Mantrailing group that Kennel Cough is rife at the moment.

I currently have 5 with it at home, the two spaniels are really struggling, mine especially. All on antibiotics as it's gone to their chest. Brown and green goo coming up.

Speaking to the vet later on as mine is wheezing as well so not sure if she needs something else.

Vets have said they are seeing about 30 cases a week at the moment of kennel cough

SAujla

Visit site
My dog also has kennel cough. It's taken 10 days and she's now okay, had Loxicom and a ton of advice from Clodagh to help her. She didn't have it as bad as some dogs mentioned above but the first few days she was very sick.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

I missed this. I’m so sorry. Currently struggling with ours, it’s a sod of a disease. ?

If an owner is even slightly worried, I’d say a second opinion is essential. We knew within 2 hours what we were facing after 3 separate days/various procedures and no diagnosis over a week elsewhere. Think we’ll also re-register with a former practice.

meleeka

Visit site

My dog had a tumour on her spleen and she didn’t cough at all. I too elected not to go for surgery as I felt it was too much of an op to put her through, with the uncertainty of whether it was cancerous or not. She went on for another few months before I had to make the decision. It’s surprisingly common for older dogs but doesn’t always get diagnosed.