Coughing

Weezy

Visit site
I seldom post in here but thought throwing a few ideas around wouldn't hurt!

P has a cough - now it is NOT a lung cough, it is more a "grr there is something stuck in my throat cough". She did it on Friday a little and then again on Sunday when I rode her a teeny bit - it is accompanied by blowing out of the nose rather than big deep coughs (hmmmm am I making sense here?).

Anyway, just walked her down to her paddock and she coughed and blew and then coughed once more and a compacted bundle of very well chewed up hay came out - about the size of a 50p piece and 2cms deep. It was moist, there was no phlegm or pus or anything in there, just a solidish, moist mass that was easily crumbled with my fingers (am kicking myself for not taking a pic).

When I went to muck out I realised there was another bit outside of her stable too, indicating she had coughed over her door.

Now, I reckon this may well point to the fact that there could be a slight blockage somewhere, although I have massaged her windpipe daily since Friday and can feel nothing, and as I said, she is blowing out of her nose more than anything.

She has absolutely no discharge from her nose.

Ideas?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yep, thought that, maybe there is build up in the rear of the mouth?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's what it sounds like to me. Essentially quiding I suppose.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Weezy,
I dont know if youve had her teeth done yet, but sometimes when they have been done they can still take a bit of time to adjust and chew properly.
I had one horse with a wonky tooth, which used to get a mass of hay (as you describe) lodged in behind it. I used to get it rasped off every 3 months, in the end he had the tooth removed.
As long as she is clearing then I wouldnt worry too much about the cough (they dont count if they clear!). Perhaps check up the side of her cheek for ulcers, they would be an indication she is chewing inadequately.

Weezy

Visit site
Cheers, you both are backing up what I thought. EDT is due out in the next couple of weeks so will just be aware until then. Like I said, the cough itself isn't bothering me at all as it isn't deep and there is nothing coming up phlegm wise and there is no discharge from the nostrils.
Will give the rear of her mouth a good going over later - did the front yesterday and found nothing.

spaniel

Visit site
My thought too Weezy. Tom does this on occasions as he has a slightly wonky molar on one side, the gap between it and its neighbour is widening so food does tend to get stored on that side or stuck right at the back of the mouth.

If you can get her to accept it you could try washing out her mouth either with a gentle pressure hosepipe or a huge syringe of warm water.

Thunder

Visit site
I too thought quidding - sounds very similar to a pony where I worked, after her teeth were done she was fine - although a lot of work was needed on them.

Is P's breath smelling? Rotting hay should perhaps give off some aroma - I know the above pony's breath stank.

Weezy

Visit site
Should have updated!!!

I had a great big delve in her mouth - cannot find anything alarming although I did clear so grass/hay from her gums. She has not coughed since, so hopefully after her dentistry we will have an answer
laugh.gif