Coughing

spider

community.webshots.com
My horse has had a cough for the past 2 weeks. It starts up as soon as we trot and once he has finished the coughing fit seems ok with ridden work. Hay is dampened and has been analysed and foung to be 'good' apparently. I was wondering if it is some kind of pollen allergy. Was particularly bad today. He has not got a snotty nose and seems ok in himself.He is out on restricted grazing in the day and in at night. Should I be calling the vet?

soulfull

Visit site
I would be getting the vet. you can't be too careful with coughs as it can cause long term damage. even without nasal discharge, I lean't the hard way and my other horse ended up with RAO :(

a couple of years ago I had one that had a cough like you describe, because of the previous experience I called the vet and had him scoped, he had an infection and needed 3 lots of AB's and ventipulmin, but he recovered quickly and completely
/

greenroof

Visit site
I have a 2 year old who has been coughing for about 6 weeks. There is no temperature and no discharge, just a horrible barking cough. The vet has seen her and her lungs are clear. She prescribed anti-histamines as she believes the cough is due to a pollen allergy, but they made very little difference. I have tried wetting her hay - she is stabled at night. The pony isn't poorly, just sounds dreadful. It is possibly the same condition as spider's horse. Has anyone any ideas as to how to relieve the cough?

LegOn

Visit site
I just did a post about the same thing - vet has scoped & his lungs have some watery fluid which isnt infection lead! He had an anti-histamine shot which cleared it up completely but it came back 10/12 days later - waiting to hear back today on what his plan is now.

Definitely call the vet though & get him scoped to see what you are dealing with.

spider

community.webshots.com
Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided if he was still coughing tonight I would call vet out. Went for a hack, walk trot and hills and he didn't cough once. Typical! So I will see what happens over the next couple of days.