Coughing

bumblebe

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone

Well my boy has started coughing quite a lot in the last few days which is not like him!! He just never coughs normally!

He does it in all envrionments, whether ridden, in the stable or just walking to the stable! Some mornings there has been mucuus stuff on the floor outside the stable. Is it likely to be the dry weather or something else? Should I ride him? Should I call the vet? Should I put him on a supplement of somesort? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

ExRacers

Visit site
Could be an allergic reaction or as happened to one of mine recently, a virus with a respiratory infection hence the mucus on the floor. It cleared it up with a course of antibiotics but also had to rest him for a month as if you ride them too soon when they have a virus you can cause even more trouble & time off! Frustrating but it sorted him out.

Probably best to ring the vet and ask him.

bumblebe

New User
Visit site
Thanks for that - vet is coming to the yard this afternoon to see another horse so he is going to have a check on Bumble at the same time, REALLY hoping won't have to have a month off!! Aggghhhhh only just got him back into work in the last month or so after a month off with a bruised sole!

ExRacers

Visit site
Know just how you feel!!! At the same time he had the virus, my other horse "decided" to take 6 weeks off with an infected corn!!! Just got him going at beginning of July and did one show only for him to now be off for the last 2 weeks with a huge abscess in his heel and the other horse came out lame last weekend & I still don't know why yet !!!! Feel like screaming as they are entered up for shows over the next 4 weekends!! Happy days - NOT !!!!

ruscara

Visit site
Several horses in our yard have had coughs, which come and go. The vet has been out to one, and said it was allergies, to pollens or spores in the air. As with you, they don't seem to be related to any environment or activity, and there doesn't seem to be anything that will help. It seems to be a seasonal thing.

beaconhorse

Visit site
It may not be a virus it may just be because there is so much dust with pollen floating around. When you have ridden him did he seem lethargic? I know you say it doesn't make any difference what enviroment he is in, but once the pollen/dust particles are in his airway they don't just disappear when you take him away from the cause.
If he is stabled at night I would give his bed and stable walls a quick spray with the hose pipe on 'spray' I do this every night when the weather is like this and it really does help. Also soak his hay.
Once irritated the airways can react to things they normally would tollerate, so I would always soak his hay from now on

You are doing the right thing getting the vet to check him, as airway problems which are left take much much longer to come right and can lead to RAO

bumblebe

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments - vet checked him over and all was normal thank goodness! I have started to soak his hay and just walking excercise and it is much better now! Also been giving him one of the Global Herbs products for airways so hopefully that will continue to help!

Hope everyones horses are happy and healthy!