Could a retired horse be a possible project horse?

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
I'm in a position where, as much as I dont want to, I may have to give my horses up. Not something I'm taking lightly and have been thinking about this on and off for the last few months (I'm hoping it will only be a couple of years at most before I'm back in the position to own again) and was wondering what I would be able to let one of my boys go as.

I had to retire him at the begining of the year as he became to unpredictable to ride, he isn't nasty or deliberatly trying to do anything, more that he scares himself. Looking back and discussing this with my parents we think it was because, due to injury and illness, I wasn't able to give him the regular and consistant work he needed. When I first had him and was riding him all the time, he was good, we jumped, did flat work, hacked out alone and in company and was a really good ride. As illness took a hold, my riding became infrequent and not consitant and then he started to spook and become unresponsive. Last year I only managed to ride him a handful of times and tbh I can understand why I had the issues with him. Otherwise he is a very sweet natured horse, easy to do and handle, a poppet in the stable and as laid back as they come.

So my question is, if I offered him up would I do so as a companion (he's 15.3/16h and 14yo, so still got plenty of life left) or as a project for someone who has and is willing to put the time into him? I do think with the right person he could come good, and could be doing all the stuff I did with him when I first got him... Just unfortunately it isnt me :(

be positive

Visit site
This is the classic opportunity that the less than honest dealers will love, get it home, after telling you what a lovely home they are offering:rolleyes:, then do a bit with him put him up for sale as a lovely 14 year old schoolmaster.

Be very careful, I would only let a horse like him go off to someone that genuinely came through word of mouth and could be guaranteed, as far as anyone can, to do the right thing by him.
If he really will come good with regular work could you put him at livery for a while to give him some time in work to see how he is before you decide.

I would either send him away to be assessed with a view to selling to a competent home all problems declared but again you need to be sure the yard will do right by him and a future owner, offer him for loan with a period of trial, retire him properly which means you are still responsible, or pts.

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
This is the classic opportunity that the less than honest dealers will love, get it home, after telling you what a lovely home they are offering:rolleyes:, then do a bit with him put him up for sale as a lovely 14 year old schoolmaster.

I know, thats my biggest worry! But it seems such a terrible thing to put an otherwise healthy horse down. Unfortunately I am not in a position to send him away to be assessed/training etc as funds are the reason why I am considering giving them up... :(

be positive

Visit site
A loan would be your best option, offer him all problems declared on a trial period, do checks on where he goes and if it works out well you could sign him over to the right person after a period of time. That way you keep control for a while, I would suggest a year, then sell him to them for £1 if you are happy with how it going.
You could do the same with him as a companion but not many people will want such a large companion it costs too much to keep when there are smaller native types that will be cheap to keep.

Otherwise pts is not the worst thing for him, it is hard when they are otherwise healthy but they do not know or have any concept of the future.

Goldenstar

Visit site
A loan would be your best option, offer him all problems declared on a trial period, do checks on where he goes and if it works out well you could sign him over to the right person after a period of time. That way you keep control for a while, I would suggest a year, then sell him to them for £1 if you are happy with how it going.
You could do the same with him as a companion but not many people will want such a large companion it costs too much to keep when there are smaller native types that will be cheap to keep.

Otherwise pts is not the worst thing for him, it is hard when they are otherwise healthy but they do not know or have any concept of the future.

I agree this most likely to be a safe way forward for the horse.
There are so many horses available at the moment and yours has the misfortune to be difficult and older.
I have a empty stable at the moment ( since January longest ever ) and people keep offering me horses and these are nice horses that once would have sold. But are horses who need work for some reason.
But people worrying about where they will end up and happy to give them away to know they will be safe.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree entirely with be positive. Other option would be permanent loan to a reputable rs, who maybe willing to put in the work if they will end up with a good horse for free. Obviously the emphasis is on a rs with high standards.

cbmcts

Visit site
I have one like this right down to the scaring himself with his own behaviour.

He's 16 now and over the last 10 years since I decided I really didn't want to ride him (I've had him from weaning so really wanted to secure his future even if he wasn't for me!) I've tried to rehome him more than once, always via a loan with the secret plan to transfer ownership if it worked out.

Sad to say that it just hasn't worked out. Mainly because he is hard work but the other problem was that the type of people who could handle him didn't want him. The other type were the ones who thought they were much more experienced then they really were - then when there was a problem their fear made the horse panic. Absolutely terrifying for all concerned.

Now, I was always very upfront about, if anything I overstated his behaviour but some many people just didn't listen or had a very high opinion of their own abilities. I finally gave up and retired him about 4 years ago and if I can't keep him he will be PTS. Spindles Farm and other stories like that confirmed that to me that it would be the correct decision.

Is sending him to a retirement livery an option if it's ill health that makes you need to rehome?

WelshD

Visit site
I'd sell him or loan him as a project as you day he was previously fine to ride and admit it's lack of time because of your illness that was the start if the problem, someone else may well turn him around pretty quickly

Personally I wouldn't refer to him as retired as it makes him sound old!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Agree with Littlelegs. Perhaps an equine college? Hartpury for eg, were looking for loan horses about a month or so ago - it was advertised in HH.

Don't think a place with no turnout ( which I think is the case with Hartbury ) would be a good option for a horse who has spent the last four years retired at grass especially one with issues.

I.Camilla

Visit site
I would give the equine colleges/universities a bit more thought! I can't speak for my university as I had my horse on DIY as had the time to ride 6 days a week... But I used to ride on my national dip at Brooksby in Leicester and they where fab with their horses. They're selective about which students ride and handle what and any issues where solved fast. If the horse was too dangerous, the horse wouldn't stay. But the horses where far from riding school type there and where dealt with in a very professional manor! The turn out wasn't too bad either, just winter where they didn't always go out, but they where all exercised fairly.

Worth a thought though, its a loan home you can trust and have the chance to have your horse back.

I've seen it do good by a lot of horses that you maybe wouldn't have expected.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Tbh, I wasn't really thinking colleges. In my limited experience of them the standard isn't always what I'd want for my horse, or consistent enough for a project. Plus afaik many colleges return them in the holidays. I was thinking more like one or two of the v good rs I have seen. With v high standards & some v decent riders & care levels.