Could a welsh cob carry me?

FlashHarry

Visit site
My husband seems to be giving in and allowing me to get another horse!!! I would like something my son & I could share. He is 13 and does pony club & likes jumping. He's nearly 5 foot 3 & nearly outgrown 13 hand pony (long legs). I'm 5 foot 9 and a little over 11 stone (depends on cake consumption). I thought maybe a welsh cob would fit the bill. Would I be too heavy? Would only the bigger ones do or would I be OK with a 14.2? Dont mind if my legs look a bit long, just don't want to squash it! May be prepared to reduce cake consumption for the right horse!

simplyhunting

Visit site
a welshy should carry your weight easily, they're deffinately built for the job
smile.gif
and make great allrounders
laugh.gif
and often have a knack for jumping well...though try and get one with a decent amount of bone, like the old fashioned type, as some of these more modernly bred ones dont seem to have much bone on them :S
im about 5.7/8 and i ride a couple of 14.2/3's and simply just fit only my leg looks slightly long on them!,i'm more at home on a 17hh!
but a welshy sounds like it should fit the bill
smile.gif

hope this helps
smile.gif

charmaine

Visit site
I am heavier than you and my welsh cob carries me fine. The traditional welsh cobs have plenty of bone and are bred to be weight carriers. I live up in the Welsh hills and farmers use them all the time for sheperding. Some of the men that ride them are certainly not lightweights!!!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
A welsh cob will easily carry 11 stone - lets face it thoroughbreds are bred to carry up to 12 stone round NH courses - so your weight is certainly not an issue.

As regards height it is really what you feel comfortable with. I am same height and would feel underhorsed on a 14.2hh but that is personal preference. I know plenty of tall people who prefer smaller horses. A heavier built type would take up more leg anyway.

Go for it! Hope you find a nice one.

Sessie

Visit site
Would you not want want one slightly bigger as its for your son as well so he doesn't outgrow it quickly? I'm 5'4 and feel at home on my 15.2 welsh D

FlashHarry

Visit site
Thanks everyone. That's decided then. I don't think it would have to be 14.2 or below for son's competition - he doesn't do anything at a high level, just fun unaffiliated stuff. Therefore will go for 14.3 to 15.0 ish I think. V v exciting!!!!

Nari

Visit site
Good lord I weigh more than that a my 14.2 5 yo welsh cob carries me easily! He'll happily go out for rides with much bigger horses & keep up (or lead) in all paces while lugging me about. He isn't a very light type but he isn't one of the real chunky heavy boned ones either. He's also Wide enough & deep enough through the girth that you wouldn't look leggy on him.

Eleven stone? He'd carry you for hours & go as fast as you wanted!

star

Visit site
i weigh a bit more than you and have 2 welshies at 15.1hh and 15.2hh, but the 15.2hh has big withers and is v fine. he has no probs carrying me for everything we do inc hnting.

jvoyce

Visit site
Just go for something without too much of the traditional "good" breeding lines as they will be hardier and easier to keep.