could bad (loud aggressive) handling cause colic

Ibblebibble

Visit site
a pony who never had colic in his previous home has had 2 incidences of spasmodic colic since moving to his new home. A friend who has witnessed the loud and aggressive handling of said pony wondered if that could cause him enough stress to colic:confused:
example of the handling just to give you an idea, 4 yr old sec A being long reined with small child aboard , parent holding child is yelling at child who ends up in tears, person long reining is about 4 ft behind pony and is shouting and slapping and waggling reins on pony to get it going forward. shouting and yanking are the usual handling methods for this family when things don't do as they are told.
Would that cause a young pony enough stress to cause colic or are they just bad horsewomen who happen to have a pony which colics.:confused:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Let's face it stress colic can come on from moving fields so it isn't too far from the realms of possibility that this pony is suffering from stress. Likely to be a combination of factors though?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If their handling is so poor, then I would also question what their feeding and keeping routines are. I am sure that stress can cause colic, but would imagine that their entire management system is questionable.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
he's on restricted grazing as was fat and they were worried about lami, vet looked at paddock on last colic visit and said it was ideal, he has hay whenever he is brought onto the yard but no idea if he gets a hard feed as well:confused: other than that i'm not around to see their routine, can't see their field/yard from mine, just hear them:rolleyes: