Could feed be responsible for horse going bonkers in the field?

Pandapal

Visit site
Hi! I moved my 11 year old thoroughbred gelding onto Pure Feed Fibre Balance a month ago. I transitioned him onto it very slowly, and he’s been on a full amount for a week and a half. This is half a Stubbs scoop in the morning and half in the evening, along with a large handful of Speedibeet, all soaked for over 10 minutes. He loves it and hoovers it all up.

About two months ago he moved into a new field. Same horses with him but at my livery yard they move into winter fields. This is a new field for him. His turnout routine has been quite disrupted since they only go out when the weather is good. When he first went out he was okay. He’d be happy for a couple of hours then stand at the gate wanting to come in. But in the last two weeks he starts to panic after about ten minutes. He’ll race up and down the fence line, stopping and turning at the gate, and running off again. He’s managed to pull a shoe doing this and will come in drenched in sweat even though I’ll get him out ASAP after he starts this behaviour.

He’s never in the field alone, he’s close to the yard, there are generally other horses around in other fields.

His previous feed was speedibeet and Baileys Topline Condition Cubes.

It’s quite possible he’s getting too much energy, especially since he’s in a lot at the moment. But could behaviour this dramatic just be due to feed? Or could it be something else? He’s still wired even when he gets to come in to his stable and takes about 15/20 minutes to calm down. This is very out of character for him.

I switched his feed because I wanted him to be on something that was lower sugar and starch. The topline cubes seemed very high in starch especially. But he didn’t display this behaviour on that diet.

Has anyone else had a horse display this behaviour in the field? It’s like he has a high energy panic attack and desperately wants to come in. Yet he’s always excited to go out…

I’m currently thinking I should just take him off his dry feed for a couple of days then slowly reintroduce his old diet. He’s also going to be moving to a yard with everyday turnout (fields don’t get as muddy) in a couple of weeks and I know the consistent routine will help him, but I can’t be having him keep doing this there, because he will definitely injure himself if he keeps going.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? If you did take a horse off a feed you felt was giving them too much energy, how long did it take for them to stop displaying the high energy behaviour?

Pandapal

Visit site
How much exercise is he getting, as in ridden and lunging work?

He’s not been getting as much as he should be since he was on box rest for an abscess, then went back in the field with a protective boot on and managed to pull off a shoe on a different hoof and bruised the sole. He’s coming back into work now with a mixture of ridden and walker.

Pandapal

Visit site
If it’s the lack of turnout, how do I get him to stay calm when he is out? I can’t leave him out for longer than half an hour at the moment without fearing he’ll injure himself. I was hoping to gradually build up how long he was out but he just becomes a mess instantly and will hurt himself. I’m sure he’ll be better once he’s moved somewhere with regular turnout but in the meantime and whilst I’m getting him settled there I don’t know what to do to help him be less anxious.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Feed according to work load. Basically he is not getting any work so cut him right back on all the hard stuff but let him have ad lib hay. What calmer is he on? Try valerian root (you can get it on ebay ) not any of the many and various bottles and packets with 'some' valerian in it they are pretty useless - just buy the unadulterated root and feed it in just a couple of handfuls of chaff.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
If it’s the lack of turnout, how do I get him to stay calm when he is out? I can’t leave him out for longer than half an hour at the moment without fearing he’ll injure himself. I was hoping to gradually build up how long he was out but he just becomes a mess instantly and will hurt himself. I’m sure he’ll be better once he’s moved somewhere with regular turnout but in the meantime and whilst I’m getting him settled there I don’t know what to do to help him be less anxious.
Can you lunge/ride him prior to turnout to burn some energy off

GypsGal1718

Visit site
It’s a tricky one, as little feed as possible but I do get the fear. Maybe try when he is more tired after you lunge him or something. Don’t tire him out hard just decent exercise for 20 min in hand or lunging or long reining

Pandapal

Visit site
Can you lunge/ride him prior to turnout to burn some energy off

It’s a tricky one, as little feed as possible but I do get the fear. Maybe try when he is more tired after you lunge him or something. Don’t tire him out hard just decent exercise for 20 min in hand or lunging or long reining
Yeah I’ll cut him back on the feed and try lunging him before he goes out. I don’t have time to ride on weekday mornings before work but can try and get some energy out this way!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
What’s the field like is there something to eat ?
Sounds like the first thing I would do is reduce hard food and exercise before turnout
Sky my horse is galloping about atm I think he’s sick of the mud and thinks that being a nut is a way of being brought in.He lives out atm he will be coming in soon for the rest of the winter.

You might think about using overreach boots as a precaution Sky has to wear them on all four legs .
It’s very frustrating when they don’t settle when out .

Pandapal

Visit site
What’s the field like is there something to eat ?
Sounds like the first thing I would do is reduce hard food and exercise before turnout
Sky my horse is galloping about atm I think he’s sick of the mud and thinks that being a nut is a way of being brought in.He lives out atm he will be coming in soon for the rest of the winter.

You might think about using overreach boots as a precaution Sky has to wear them on all four legs .
It’s very frustrating when they don’t settle when out .
There’s plenty of grass at the moment, he’s just more interested in running around like a loon than eating it unfortunately! He has overreach boots on (although he’s very good at getting them off…)

I’m starting to think it’s a combination of too much feed and him becoming anxious and stressed because he’s been in so much and not had enough exercise recently. And now he just doesn’t know how to calm down again. I don’t think the stormy weather is helping unfortunately.

The vet is coming out tomorrow to do his strangles test for the yard move so I’ll have a word. Hopefully he can move ASAP and get into a reliable routine.