Could I have your thoughts please? :)

JellyBeanSkittle

Visit site
My mare is in her late teens and is my horse of a lifetime. I was wondering if it would be possible to harvest her eggs and freeze them, to be able to be used later on in a broody? She is too old to have a foal as she hasn't foaled before and I am deeply regretting not doing it. Foal would be bred for myself and a forever home - I am not a fan of breeding for breedings sake!

Would this be possible? (New to breeding topics!) ;) :D

TheMule

Visit site
You cant freeze her eggs as IVF seems very unsucessful in horses, but you could fertilise her and then flush any embryos out as you would with embryo transfer, then freeze the embryos. If you do this, choose a centre very expeirneced with embryo freezing as it is a tricky thing to get spot on

Audacity

Visit site
We have had an older maiden mare to my stallion - another option would be to get a good repro vet to examine her & assess her suitability for breeding a foal herself.

JellyBeanSkittle

Visit site
Thank you for the replies - got me thinking now! Vicijp - please let me know how you get on :) I think my mare would be a fab maiden but just worried about anything going wrong or it changing her personality. She is majorly hormonal (been checked bty vet for cysts, etc) when in season and wondered if it would also ease this if she was to have a foal.