Could I ride an 11.2hh pony?

Rachaelpink

Visit site
Someone at my work has an 11.2hh pony and I was thinking of taking it in an in hand class and possibly ridden for her. I went to see it but i'd forgotten how small 11.2hh actually is! I'm 5ft and not sure of exact weight at moment but I usually fluctuate between 7 - 7 1/2 stone. Usually nearer 7. Would I get away with riding it in some M & M classes? (I'm 25 by the way).

maletto

Visit site
I wouldn't have thought your weight would be an issue (someone correct me on that if I'm wrong!!) but you might look rather large on it? I'm 5'2" and got on a 13hh pony last week and thought my feet were going to touch the ground!!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Weight wise i shouldn't think a problem, but if you're all legs then you might look a bit daft if you want to show!:) I'm 5ft2in & ride a 13.2 welshie, wouldn't want to go any smaller though.:)

Maisy

Visit site
I occasionally ride my 11.3 pony and I am about 11 stone!!!! She has *no* problem carrying me whatsoever, and has been known to take off!!!! I wouldnt ride her for long periods of time, but my friend, who is about 10st rides her several times a week and she keeps up with my horse without breaking sweat!!

....these little ponies sometimes just arent kids ponies (mine is an example) but she *loves* working so I figure it is better that she is ridden by us than left to get fat and bored in a field!!

Sol

Visit site
I weigh about the same and am slightly taller (5'4) and I ride my 11.1hh welshie :p Might also depend on how wide the pony is? And how long your legs are! Short legs or a wide pony and you probably wouldn't look too bad :p

Brandy

Visit site
If you are planning to take it in M & M classes it presumably quite well built? I mean, becuase its some sort of native?

In which case, you'll be fine. I'm 5ft 7, 12 1/2 stone and ride a 13.2 welsh tank. No problems at all.

However, I wouldn;t go near a finer built pony of the same height.

Angelbones

Visit site
Obviously it depends on the stamp of pony, but I wouldn't put a rider of your height or weight on a pony that small, no offense meant :)

I moved my kids off their 11.2 way before they reached your height / weight - maybe I'm just over sensitive about these things but I hate seeing little ponies ridden by too big adults. I don't have a scientific reason to backup my feelings on this, its is literally just how I feel about it.:confused:

D

Donkeymad

At your weight, no problems at all. Your feet may be below the belly and it would look wrong for showing, but for at home, no problem at all.

BlueThePiebald

Visit site
i checked the mounted games association height/weight chart, and for me it said that for a 121lbs 5ft2 female, i could ride:
stocky 11.2/11.2hh
a medium pony between 12.ohh and 12.2hh
a fine pony at 13.2hh

so you should be fine if its a stocky one :)

Lintel

Visit site
I rode a 11.2 Welsh A- and jumped him.
I'm 5,2ft and about 8 stone.
He carried me without a second though :)
As long as your well balanced I wouldn't see a problem, he now is ridden once a week by a heavier rider than me and slightly taller.
- it doesn't look the best combo right enough!