could it be anything other than lami?

noblesteed

Visit site
My 18 year old 15hh gelding has had lami in the past and for the past 5 years I have become an expert at detecting the early signs and preventing a proper attack. The last attack he had was after steroid injections in his arthritic hocks, last spring. Made the decision not to inject any more. But this year he as been suffering possible low grade lami on and off since March. He started looking footy mid march and came in for a few days til he seemed better, and went back out. Had vet out, who said yes prob mild lami and tested for cushings which came back negative. Then he got pulses again and had 3 weeks box rest. Farrier confirmed a mild attack when shoeing. Horse has been out in his greenguard muzzle but still not quite right. Put him in starvation paddock but still not right. He's not lame or anything and barely noticeable to anyone but me! Just a bit footy and stumbly. 3 weeks ago he came sound and I rode him out, then 2 days later I got on and he wasn't quite right. It's so mild that most people probably wouldn't notice! I put straight on box rest/treat as lami with a bit of bute for a couple of days ot try and get rid properly, but he's still a 'bit footy' after being in for 2 weeks now. His feet are slightly hot but he only has very slight pulses. It's like being off the grass isn't making a difference. Usually a week in off the grass when he gets pulses sorts him out but this year it doesn't seem to be working.
Just wondering before I get the vet out AGAIN - could it be anything else making him stumbly? Such as arthritis elsewhere?

SEL

Visit site
Have you ever had x-rays? My draft has severe ringbone and at times the joint gets sore and he looks 'footy'. For him it's not directly the foot, just the arthritic changes going on in his legs. Damp weather is a real struggle and when the danilon comes out.

Mrs.G

New User
Visit site
This sounds a bit bonkers but could he have an undiscovered abcess?
My horse was misdiagnosed as lami by the vet and it turned out to be an abcess. It sounds like yours has been going on for a while but if an infection pain could be up and down like the lameness.

Micky

Visit site
Also have x rays done on his feet, to make sure nothing untoward is going on inside..re Cushings test, mine was borderline, symptoms sluggish and low grade laminitis...put him on prascend, altered his diet, x rays, corrective trimming etc, and we've never looked back, it's more about treating what is presenting itself more then the blood results...ems tested twice and they came back negative but can be notoriously difficult to come back on a positive reading...