Could my thoery be right??? Help...

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Ok, bare with me while i try and explain lol...

Went to duckhurst at weekend for affliated, got double clear in BN but timewise we were about 5seconds behind getting a placing - now I think its down to lack of control after jumps and somtimes she comes flying round corners that I have to pull her up, then obviously loosing time there - ive now decided that maybe we need a bit more brakes just to help with corners and turns especially in jumpoffs...so I was thinking as Ive only got her in a KK snaffle, put her in a rubber mouth 3ring (2nd hole) or somthing like that? and see if that helps...

when i mentioned this to people at yard, i got laughed at and just told to do more schooling etc, like stopping after fences - Ok can see where they are coming from and I do those excercises with my trainer but I cant exactly stop after each fence in a jumpof????

Am i thinking right??

Kelly1982

Visit site
It DOES sound like a schooling issue but then again maybe a slightly stronger bit would help in the meantime or even one with a different action. Dont think a 3 ring gag would be my first port of call to be honest.

I had Senza in a french link and we were at logger heads, trainer suggested a thicker rubber bit, we were no longer fighting each other but i had no control so i put her in a plain loose ring snaffle and hey presto, a completly different horse!!! Still a thick bit as trainer suggested but more control and not harsh.

Think you should speak to your trainer and see what she says.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
well shes in a loose ring KK snaffle with lozenge bit...just think that it must be better to have a bit more control and then having to pull at her round corners...

The only thing is, even when i do all these excercises or trying new things during lessons etc, she goes lovely at home, but get her at a show and shes completly different horse - think shes a bit of show of lol

Weezy

Visit site
She really needs to learn to come back to you with you holding her with your seat and leg - any inteference with her front end and the jumping will not be as good - learning to sit up after a fence and hold the horse with your leg and seat will engage her back onto her hocks and collect her, thus slowing her down

How is she with half halts? Do you half halt on the corners? If it isnt something you have been practising then I would!

As for changing the bit, unless she is pissing off with you then personally I wouldnt as the prob here is that she has to wait for you and come back to you, rather than you pulling her up - you will lose all impulsion and rhythym

Rambo

Visit site
Hmmmmm....if I were you, I wouldn't be too worried about missing the time in a BN. There are always horses who wil charge round at that height...and tbh...you probably won't beat them. You DO need to be working on schooling your horse better to be lighter and to come back to you after the fences, but aim that schooling at the larger fences. Most horses will naturally come back better when the fences go up a bit anyway, and the JO's are less of a 'scurry' too. Clearly some horses are better than others at it, but you should find speed becomes less of a factor at the higher levels
smile.gif

Well done on the DC anyway...

Kelly1982

Visit site
I know what you mean, its a completly different ball game when your at shows and i agree with you that sometimes its better to up the bit than keep hanging off of their mouth!!

Have you practiced courses at home rather than just one jump at a time??

katiejaye

Visit site
I completely understand as my boy is the same, very controlled jumping at home but a little looney when out! I agree that it is primarily a case of more schooling, but there is no reason why you couldn't combine this with a bit that's a little stronger. I don't recommend wacking in something very harsh as this certainly won't solve the problem. However I do prefere having something a little bit stronger than my normal loose ring french link as it prevents me from hanging on to louis' mouth. I am now using a loose ring waterford and have changed to a grackle which has given a little more control.

However the biggest help to me has been schooling at home and working on getting him to come back to me after the jumps and working on my own position too. I do that stopping before and after fences fences exercise with my trainer and it's actually really really helped us.

pootler

Visit site
I would work up in increments, also see which bit suits. I started with a pelham but he overbent, jointed kimblewick (no brakes at all), 3 ring waterford bit on second hole worked well for me, over time and with schooling, I have now got him in the 3 ring but have put roundings on it on the bit ring and second hole.

Tim Stockwell reckons that a strong bit is much kinder than having to pull them around in a bit they don't respect. As long as you keep evaluating your horse's performance in the bit and then downgrade if you can, no harm in looking at something stronger.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
agreed stronger bit might help, but you say she is not strong. does she go fast and moterbike it round corners? I think the idea of more schooling is so you can keep her together and do smaller more acurate turns and still get a good jump in, that way you are saving time by not having to go long and round, if that makes sense.
best wishes
Dawn

Bossanova

Visit site
How about the Neue Schule jumpers bit? It has two rings, the same mouth piece as the KK and seems to give a bit more control without being OTT

Rambo

Visit site
LOL!

Dress it up as you like, but at the end of the day it's a dutch gag
wink.gif

I personally have no problem with upping the brakes via the bit when necessary, but don't be afraid to step them down again when you're able to. Bo was very strong last year, and we went through all manner of bits from loose ring snaffle, to copper roller, to dutch gag and then mullen mouth pelham. All did a job at the time, but I now find I am able to get the same results in the coppper roller (basically a snaffle + !) as he has learnt what I want from him
smile.gif

I have even taken him x-country and on a sponsored ride in the same bit with no ill effects in the brakes department. Schooling is everything, but don't be afraid to use extra hardware to backup the lesson
smirk.gif

katiejaye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How about the Neue Schule jumpers bit? It has two rings, the same mouth piece as the KK and seems to give a bit more control without being OTT

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought that bit for Louis, used it once but he hated it. I got the same result from it as when I used the dutch gag, he just tucked his head in his chest and danced around...one very unhappy horsie! It really depends on the horse though, I think Louis objects to any extension above or bellow the bit.
crazy.gif