Could really do with some positive thoughts .

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
Have a very poorly boy today . Came home from nights this morning and found my big lad laying down in the field , which isn't unusual for most horses , but unheard of for him . He won't lay down in the sun , and certainly not in the pouring rain . Whilst watching him he got up , kicked his belly and showed all the signs of colic , so got him in ( after 15 minutes of him charging round the fields like a raving loon with his tail in the air mind you ) and called the vet . Who came out and pronounced spasmodic colic . Heart rate perfectly normal , temp normal , capillary reactions perfectly normal , rectal exam , normal . But he's not comfortable , kicking out at his belly , looking round , the usual thing . Vet doses him up with Buscopan , and he seems better , but tea time comes and he's exactly the same . Vet out again ( thank goodness he's a neighbour!) no change in any heart rate , temp , nothing found with rectal exam . Nothing nothing nothing . But yet he's twitching and unsettled . This time he's sedated and more Buscopan , but vet is now saying about surgery and further exam in Newmarket .

I don't think I can send him . He's 23 . Already has a heart murmur for a long time . Quite apart from the fact that insurance company won't cover it due to his age , I'm wondering if I sent him , exactly who I'd be doing it for. So at the moment he's dozing on the yard outside with 30 minute checks . Any positive thoughts would be very gratefully received right now , as I'm now on my 38th hour of no sleep and things are looking very bleak .

Fides

Visit site
I am so so sorry for you. It's such a hard decision to make - but at least you are thinking of doing what is best for him. Even if he survives the surgery, it is a long road to full recovery :( I really hope to you that he comes good on him own - sometimes it happens. I will be keeping everything crossed for you. Give him lots of hugs xxx

wattamus

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you, I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. Fingers crossed that e comes right by himself. Lt us know how it goes xxxx

kerrieberry2

Visit site
awwww poor baby! I feel you're pain, my mare suffered with spasmodic colic for about 4yrs, and she'd get it twice a year! we worked out eventually, it must have been the clover in the field, made her really gassy and she checked herself about where she couldn't cope with it!

though whilst waiting for the vet the last time I took her for a run around the village, about 20 mins, and she was happy with that, had lots of wind but no poo's, my vet has always suggested leaving her out, but in a small area, on her own so I can check how many times she's gone to the loo and how much she has drunk over night, she's always been fine then!

not that I want to worry you but my mare was about the same age when it started to happen, I've recently found out she has cushings, so it could have been connected too, so if it happens again, might be worth considering a test for that too!

good luck, hugs to the big boy xx

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
How worrying for you. Is there anyone who could watch with you so at least you could rest for a while as you won't be much good if you have to move him etc? I'd come and help you if I was nearer. It's a lonely time when looking after sick animals. Has he passed droppings etc?

Hoping that it's just a gassy colic. My mare had it a few weeks ago and she made full recovery, hope your chap does too.

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
I've just been out to check him again and caught him with a huge mouthful of straw and a very guilty expression indeed . The sedative seems to have worn off and he looks a bit more settled so am desperately hoping for improvement . Have just realised I lost my first pony 5 years ago tomorrow just to add to the joy . On a brighter note the other reprobate of a horse ( cost me a pound due to his shocking manners and bullying of his old owner ) who I've only recently cured of taking chunks out of people if he doesn't get his way , gave me a huge cuddle today when I just might have been sobbing into his mane . Maybe he's not such a git as I thought .

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hopefully he's now on the mend. For what it's worth, I wouldn't put a 23 year old horse through a colic surgery.

Sending +++ vibes.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Oh what a worry! :( Hope he's on the mend now. I agree with amymay, I have a 25 year old and I wouldn't put her through surgery now. Hopefully it won't be necessary for your boy anyway.

Sending you lots of love and hugs. xx

Nettle123

Visit site
Not sure what the weather was like by you yesterday but it poured here and three of ours were shivering last night. We used to have an elderly tb that had spasmodic colic if he got chilled, just wondering whether it could be that. It would grumble on for a few days too. Another who would not put a horse through colic surgery.